Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two

I woke up bright and early the next morning. While I normally start my days being productive and practically jumping out of bed to make a dent in my to-do list, today I just sat in my bed. I laid there on top of my thin blanket staring up at the ceiling.

My mind was trying to process the events of the previous day. I started out still upset with Edmon, my dress was still ruined and then I was at Abby's house.

She pulled the new dress out of her magical closet along to help me get ready, and as cliche as it sounded, I felt like a princess. For once I was comfortable in my own body and thought I could love myself.

After a quick bump in the road a block away from the party, I experienced doubts. However, I pushed through them and walked in without falling flat on my face.

I found Derric easily, he always found a way to stick out in a crowd. We danced and talked for hours and I was even ready to tell him my name. The first letter spilled out of my mouth and the rest about to follow when midnight struck.

I raced out of there, leaving in a dazed hurry scrambling to find a way to get home. I corned Edmon who put our differences aside to help me. I got home in time to change into my pajamas and pretend I was there all along.

Kenny was none the wiser and the girls didn't come home until an hour later when they collectively banged on my door. I was in the process of falling asleep and swung the door open.

I heard Sophia whisper to Harper, "It couldn't have been her at the party, look at her hair."

"Do you want anything or are you just going to stand there?" I asked grouchily. They were interrupting my circadian rhythms.

"You're just jealous you weren't invited anyway and had to stay home." Emma pointed out with a smug smile. If they only knew.

Regardless, I refused to dignify them with a response and shut the door in their face, making sure to lock it behind me.

I sat up and texted Edmon to meet me in 20 minutes at a cafe by his house. It was time to work things out. I hoped he was awake to see my text.

--------

"Thanks for meeting me." I say as soon as he sat down. I got there early and ordered a cup of hot chocolate for myself, the warmth from the mug seeping to my hands.

"Thanks for agreeing to see me." The waitress comes over to take his order before leaving us in an uncomfortable silence. I didn't know how to start. There was so much I wanted to say, but where to begin?

"What do you have against Derric?"

"Nothing." He denies quickly as if I would settle with that answer.

"I don't believe you." I stare him down. "Since I've mentioned him you've made it clear you have a problem with him and won't tell me why."

"I barely know the guy." Edmon shrugs.

"Then why do you judge him like you known him?" The million dollar question. I kept going, with an improvised plan to provoke him into giving me answers. I had a gut feeling it was going to backfire on me.

"His reputation precedes him."

"You of all people should know not to judge a book by his cover. How do you know if those things are true if you refuse to give him a chance? You judge him without knowing, and you won't give me any legitimate reason as to why you don't like him. What do you expect me to do Edmon, take your word for it?"

"Yes." He mumbles.

"You don't do the same for me. Trust is a two way street. You don't trust me to make my own choices, and constantly judge me."

"I don't want you to end up hurt and heartbroken over him."

"That's sweet and I understand where you're coming from, but you have to respect that the choices I make are my choices alone. We had this conversation before and I thought this was finished." His heart was in the right place, unfortunately that wasn't enough to solve this.

"I hate seeing you hurt, and thinking I could have done something to help."

"You can help by comforting me, not by pointing out what I've done wrong." I tell him. "If you don't have any reasons against him, I'm not listening to this anymore."

"I don't like Derric, I'm sorry but I don't!"

"Well I do." I argue back. "So either you tell me why or I'm leaving." It was a bluff, but he didn't have to know that.

Edmon stays silent and I took his silence as his answer. I stood up to leave, giving him one last chance.

"He took you away from me." Edmon said quietly. I sat back down and listened carefully."Ever since he came into your life, I've been pushed to the side."

I reached forward and placed my hands on top of his, guilt eating me up inside."I'm sorry, I've never realized how my friendship with him would negatively affect you. I never meant to push you away, intentionally or accidentally."

"While we're saying sorry, I have to apologize for calling you pathetic. It was completely uncalled for, over the line and absolutely not true. It was said in the heat of the moment but I've never once believed it to be true. I know it's easy to say sorry, but I'll know you I mean it and I truly regret it."

"I hate arguing with you and not talking to you was the worst. We've been through so much and I want you to remember you're my first friend and best friend and Derric won't change that."

"Let's split a muffin." I say changing the topic onto brighter things. We can slowly put this behind us.

"Sure, and you can tell me about last night." For once he seemed interested in hearing what I have to say about Derric, things were looking up. I caught him up to speed as we laughed and joked around like we used to.

I made a mental note to myself to properly introduce the two of them. I'm sure they think the worst of each other.

----------

The weekend goes by and it was time for another day at school. I walked in as per usual and noticed a shift in the atmosphere. Walking down the halls I could not escape the conversations about the mysterious blonde at Derric's party.

It seemed to be all everyone was talking about making my heart seize up in anxiety. On my way to my first class I've heard a dozen or so guys mention how hot I looked in the dress, and how it hugged my curves.

The girls were a different story. Fueled by jealousy they spewed names and poked fun. "Why was she wearing a mask anyway?" was one comment that made a crowd of teenagers giggle.

I put my head down and hoped to escape the eyes of my classmates. For now it seemed like none of them knew who I was and I wanted it to stay that way.

"I heard Derric has something of hers." I heard as my hand was on the classroom doorknob. I paused for a moment.

"Like a glass slipper?" Another said mockingly.

"She wishes she was Cinderella." And cue the laughter.

It would be nice to be part of a fairytale and get a happily ever after.

I think back to the conversation I overheard throughout class. What did I lose at the party? And why wouldn't Derric just text me that he has it?

I'll probably ask him later on that day, when we go for our daily jog. I could continue our conversation from the party then.

The moment was long gone, but we could still have a special moment anyway.