Chapter 4 A Conversation With Carlisle

Astrid and Bella show up at the house, they haven't spoken since they left the school parking lot. Bella parks in the driveway and lets the truck idle for a moment, Astrid raises an eyebrow at her.

"You gonna turn off the truck or are you planning on burning all the gas before tomorrow?"

Bella turns off the truck then looks at her little sister, "Why, Astrid, why did you have to humiliate me like that?"

"I wasn't humiliating you, I was defending you from a guy who made you feel like shit. I'm not going to sit around and watch as my sister gets her feeling hurt by some jerk."

"What did you tell him," Bella asked.

"I told him that if he ever made you feel like shit again I would kick his ass."

"Bella's face turns red and she covers her face, "You didn't."

"Of course I did, you know I don't let anyone mess with you."

"You know I should be the one protecting you, you are my baby sister after all."

"Oh, please, Bella, you know I can protect myself. Besides I'm stronger than you."

"I can protect myself too." Bella whines.

Astrid raises an eyebrow.

"Okay fine, I can't but still I'm older."

"Ooh, by a whole year, come on let's get inside and start dinner before dad gets home."

The girls get out and head into the house, thinking that they would make some green chicken enchiladas for dinner.

Meanwhile at the Cullen house:

The Cullen children get home, still discussing what Astrid could possibly be. The go into the house and find out from Esme that Carlisle is still at the hospital. So they all decide to go hunting until he returns. A few hours later they get back and Carlisle has arrived from the hospital. He's in the living room with Esme when the children return.

"Esme tells me that you have something important to talk to me about, what's going on."

Edward steps forward and begins to explain, "Yes, Carlisle, we may have a situation at school, two new girls showed up at school today.

"Two I thought Alice only saw one," Carlisle asks.

"I did, the other was a complete surprise, her name is Astrid Swan."

Chief Swan's daughter, he has two," Esme asks.

"Yes, she's really cute, a little blonde girl about my height with brilliant blue eyes very friendly," Alice explains.

"If you call aggressive and confrontational friendly," Rosalie adds.

"Confrontational, what do you mean?"

"She tried to pick a fight with Rose, during art class and wasn't in the least bit intimidated by her." Jasper says, "And from what I heard she slammed a Tyler Crowley's head into the table because he kissed her sister and tried to kiss her."

"She isn't like anyone else we've ever met, when we walked into the cafeteria, everyone gawked at us as usual but she barely glanced up from the magazine she was reading," Duncan tells Carlisle.

"A magazine about ancient weapons." Alice pointed out.

"She even called me an annoying ass and Edward a douche," Emmett says with a pout.

Carlisle chuckles, "She's a little odd, but I don't see the problem, yet."

"The problem happened after school, with Edward."