Chapter 10

JASLYNN

Alrik glared at the group of wolves blocking the road, "How dare they attack us."

Alpha wolves and their egos.

I rolled my eyes and unbuckled my seat belt, "Put a band-aid on that ego. It's nothing personal. They're only doing their job."

He noticed me getting out of my seat and grabbed my hand, "Are you insane? They'll eat you alive if you step outside."

"You underestimate my intelligence. Open the sunroof. I'll talk to them from up there."

His eyes showed a hint of reluctance, but he clicked the button for the sunroof anyway.

I popped my head up and the growling and barking got louder, making me smile at the wolves' enthusiasm for my blood. At least the Alpha did not have to worry about his border security.

"Hi there."

The noise stopped, and the wolves appeared taken aback, most likely confused by my calm greeting.

"Could the Beta shift please? I would like to communicate with a human. I don't understand bark or growl," I said, flashing them a sweet smile, one that had gotten me out of trouble several times and a few free drinks at the bar.  

A huge brown wolf stepped forward and shifted back to his human form, and I had to resist the urge to cover my eyes at his naked form.

Alrik let out a low grumble from inside the car, and I jabbed him with my knee causing him to frown up at me. 

"Who are you? Why are you coming into our territory?" The Beta snarled, crossing his arms to show off his power.

"I'm Jaslynn Beaumont, the head witch from the Imperium Coven. I had talked to your Alpha earlier this week about entering his territory. I still have the email if you'd like to see it," I said, slipping my phone out of my jacket pocket and opening up the email as the Beta approached the car.

He snatched the phone out of my hand and narrowed his eyes at the email. I waited as he read through it before handing it back to me, "That doesn't explain why Alpha Alrik is with you. We were under the assumption that he was coming to take over our pack. If you want to pass, you have to leave him behind, bitch."

Fabulous. My mate had a reputation, and the Beta was an asshole.

Suddenly, the car door slammed, and I jumped in surprise as Alrik let out a loud roar and grabbed the Beta by his collar.

"Listen, wolf, you will let us through. I'm not here to take over your pack, but if I will if you disrespect my mate," he snarled, lifting the Beta off the ground by the neck. The other wolves backed up a little although they did seem angry at the way Alrik was handling their Beta.

I had to admit my chest felt warm at his words. Not to mention, he was even hotter when he was furious. A vein was throbbing in his temple, and his muscles were all tense. It was a swoon-worthy sight especially since he was defensive for me.

The urge to lean my head on my hands and watch the show was high, but I knew I had the responsibility to stop Alrik from murdering the Beta otherwise Malcolm would not be the only problem on our hands.

"Alrik, put him down. He's turning blue," I said.

"I don't feel like it."

"Don't make me pull out my wand."

He snapped his head to me, "Are you threatening me?"

Never mind, he was not that hot after all.