9

When we get to the fence the train stops, the tracks don't go any farther. A chain-link fence with barbed wire strung along the top stands in front of us. We climb up to the landing before the wires start. Looking out I can see Amity, and I start to feel as if I need to fight back tears.

"What do you think is out there?" Olivia asks.

"Amity Farms," I answer, earning a laugh from everyone.

"I think she means beyond that, Flower Child," Calum adds.

"What are we guarding the city from?" Olivia asks.

"Monsters!" Liam shouts.

I turn towards Eric, "Do you know?'

"Let's just say they built this fence for a reason, Flower Child," Eric answers.

I roll my eyes at the nickname.

Eric starts lecturing us, "If you don't rank in the top five at the end of initiation, you will probably end up here. Once you are a fence guard, there is some potential for advancement, but not much. For the most part, those who guard the fence when they are young continue to guard the fence. If it comforts you, some of them insist that it isn't as bad as it seems."

"Yeah. At least we won't be driving buses or cleaning up other people's messes like the factionless," Olivia whispers in my ear.

"What rank were you?" Scott asks Four.

Why does Scott always have to be involved in everyone else's business? I don't expect Four to answer, but he looks levelly at Scott and says, "I was first."

"And you chose to do this? Why didn't you get a government job?" Scott asks.

"I didn't want one," Four says flatly.

Eric gives Four a look, suggesting Four isn't fully telling the truth.

As we are leaving the fence the gates open for a truck. The man driving wears a hat, a beard, and a smile. He stops just inside the gate and gets out. The back of the truck is open, and a few other Amity sit among the stacks of crates, sadly none are my mom.

"Emmeline Rose?" an Amity boy says.

My head jerks at the sound of my name. One of the Amity in the back of the truck stands. He has curly blond hair and a familiar nose, wide at the tip and narrow at the bridge. Elijah. He was my neighbor back in Amity, he was my brother's friend. He would be over our house all the time before my brother died. Elijah hops down from the truck. He wears a gray T-shirt and a pair of blue jeans. After a second's hesitation, he moves toward me and folds me in his arms. I stiffen, I'm not used to Amity hugs anymore.

I don't move a muscle until he releases me. His own smile fades when he looks at me again. "Emmeline Rose, what happened to you? What happened to your face?"

"Nothing," I say. "Just training. Nothing."

"Emmeline Rose?" demands a nasal voice next to me. Amy folds her arms and laughs. "Is that your real name, Flower Child?"

I glance at her. "What is it not ok to have two first names?"

She shrugs, not expecting me to challenge her.

"There's no need to antagonize her," Elijah says softly. "I'm Elijah, and you are?"

"Someone who doesn't care what your name is," Amy says. "Why don't you get back in your truck? We're not supposed to fraternize with other faction members."

"Why don't you get away from us?" I snap.

"Right. Wouldn't want to get between you and your boyfriend," she says. She walks away smiling.