o41

C H A P T E R
F O R T Y - O N E

Jaemin's body was polished with amberlike liquid, containing flecks of gold that caught the sky's light with every movement. A peculiar silver metal was wrapped around his neck like a choker, enhancing the brightness of his pale irises. His clothes were decorated with cyan-coated armories. It was if he was equipped with an actual cyborg, being as one with him wherever he goes. And I imagined it as a shield. His armor.

The president really did make him his puppet.

He's the youngest among us but, ironically, the most puisant and formidable one.

We never really made an exchange of words. He was provided with a chair on the center aisle, while his three assistants were on a different table, along with other people who also came to assist their masters.

Hendery saw me, but he didn't look the bit surprised. His dark hair was slicked on the right side, face shadowed with a picture-book look that's so hard to comprehend.

Now that I was staring at him, I couldn't take my head off at the striking similarities that he shares with Ten. On the other hand, Ten seemed to be more suprised to see Hendery than Jaemin. There was heaviness evident in his orbs as he studied his clone, and I swore I felt him squeeze my hand below the table where no one could see.

Yangyang, the boy of autumn leaves and soft brown eyes that I saw at the Dome, was wearing a lopsided smile. He looked like he's of Jaemin's age, his face overflowing with youth and comeliness. His skin looked so smooth and impeccable even from far away, glowing with a fair pigment of melanin.

Then there was Xiaojun, a boy of sharp lines and sophisticated beauty. The edges of his face was inhumanely flawless, thick brows arched in complete perfection. He looked achingly familiar, as if I saw him before, but couldn't pinpoint when or where.

At some point, we locked eyes with each other. His stare was almost menacing, as if he loathed the fact that I was going to share a meal with him. Then I had the sudden feeling that he could be the one who tackled me to the floor right after I received the medal, when the lights of the Dome flickered off.

"We purposely made you win. Xiaojun and Yang participated the competition to glorify you with what you wanted. How generous of them, don't you think? Shouldn't you be thankful that they just fed your hungry heart?"

The reminiscence of Hendery's words sunk in me once again and reminded me of the rest of his story, when he called Baba his uncle, when he said I don't remember them who's from my hometown, and when he said that I betrayed them.

When we began eating, I felt so groggy. The cyborgs were lined up properly on one corner and for some reason, I could feel them staring at me.

"What do you think of the Capital Sky?" Mayuu raised a question for Jaemin.

I was surprised when he smiled genuinely, "It's extraordinary, Distingué. I am in awe."

Then Mayuu introduced the guests to him one by one. Turns out, this meeting will only be held shortly and is conducted to honor the creation of the new type of cyborg, the Medborg, since it is a collaboration between the Capital and government. I saw it at the news once, at my first time in City 127. I suddenly remembered Wendy, who must be upset after she hears that the Medborg will be distributed this soon. She once mentioned that she has a friend who's a doctor, Irene. I hope she finds work as soon as possible, just in case these cyborgs will really replace humans in their workplace.