Chapter 5

Mercy and Otis Graves had escaped containment along with Jensen (a D.E.O. Agent with full access to the facility) and the led dispersal bomb that got rid of the daxamites.

They must have managed to rewire the device to irradiate the atmosphere with kryptonite rather than led because soon enough the D.E.O. was in full panic mode. The kryptonite signature warnings were going off everywhere alone with green lights and people were rushing around but yet there was no sign of Supergirl.

"Brainy! Where's Supergirl?" Alex demanded.

"Just one second... ah! There she is!" Brainy said as he sent the signal from the tablet to the monitors of the D.E.O.

"Um... director Danvers... she appears to be declining in altitude rather quickly." Brainy said.

"Is there any way we can save her?" Alex was panicking now.

"No. Not from here."

Alex grabbed out her phone to call J'onn because this was an emergency:

Alex: J'onn! Supergirl is in trouble. The atmosphere is full of kryptonite.

J'onn: Okay Alex where is she?

Alex: She's falling quickly just outside of National City.

J'onn: Okay Alex, I'm on my way now.

Alex heard J'onn take off just before the line went dead. She had tremendous hope that J'onn would get there in time to save her sister.

The entire D.E.O. were watching the screens so closely to see if J'onn would make it bUt time felt as though it was going too slow yet too quick all at the same time. The second J'onn caught Supergirl was the same second she would've hit the ground and would be most likely dead.

Alex felt like she could actually breathe again knowing that J'onn was on his was back with Kara. She sighed heavily with relief as brainy came up behind her to warm that Kara would be back in 4 minutes and 37.24 seconds and they needed to get the med bay set up.

J'onn soon returned with Kara and her entire body was glowing kryptonite green and it slowly ate away at her kryptonian cells. They quickly placed her under the sun lamps and placed a kryptonite shield on her chest that they used when fighting metallo.

"How is she Brainy?" Alex questions.

"They kryptonite shield is slowly getting rid of the kryptonite from her system but it's not doing it fast enough. Without another solution she will most likely die soon."

"Is there not anything we can do?" Alex didn't want to loose her sister.

"Sadly, no. There is not a single thing that you, Alex Danvers, could do to help Kara right now."

Just then, Alex had a thought - Lena. Lena was smart and she helped them make the led dispersal bomb in the first place. Maybe she could help.

Alex quickly grabbed her phone and she was going to call Lena. She knew that seeing Kara like this would hurt Lena but hopefully she would be able to help.

Alex: Lena we need your help.

Lena: What is it? Is everything alright?

Alex: No. The atmosphere has been intoxicated with kryptonite and-

Lena: And that means Kara is going to die unless we do something.

Alex: Yeah... that's right.

Lena: Don't worry - I have something that I think might work. I'm on my way now.

Alex: Thank you Lena.

Lena rushed to get to the D.E.O. in time - not caring if she was caught speeding. She got there and practically ran (in heels) towards where Kara was.

"I'm here. I'm here." Lena stated - out of breath.

She began to take something out of her handbag and speak until Brainy interrupted and took it from Lena's grasp.

"Oh my A radiation-controlled proto-environment housed in a vacuum-sealed, mechanical exoskeleton contained in a spring-loaded two-millimeter disc." Brainy was in awe.

"Yes and we need to put it on Kara before she dies." Lena said while taking it back off of Brainy. "However, if I do this, she will have to keep it on until we manage to get rid of the kryptonite in the atmosphere." Lena warned.

"Of which, we do not yet know how to do." Brainy clarified.

"Do it." Alex said.

Lena obliged. She placed the device onto Kara's chest as the suit began to cover her entire body. Kara's vitals began to return to normal as everyone began to calm down somewhat.

Alex walked over to Lena and hugged her really tight. "I love Kara so much and I couldn't imagine ever loosing her. Thank you Lena."

"It's okay Alex. I love her too." Lena confessed.

"I already knew that but Kara doesn't. Maybe you should tell her when she wakes up."

"Yeah you're right. I care about her too much and we almost lost her tonight. I couldn't imagine never telling her how I feel." Lena said, almost crying.

"Yeah, sometimes I'm not sure she realises the danger she puts herself in." Alex said, also almost crying.

—————————————

Sam walked up behind alex who was stood on the balcony of the D.E.O. She wanted to comfort Alex because she knew how much Kara meant to her.

"Hey. Lena called me." Sam half whispered, not wanting to make Alex jump. Alex turned around and looked at Sam, her eyes were all puffy and she had obviously been crying.

Sam realised this and instantly pulled Alex into a comforting hug. They stayed like that for a few moments until Sam finally said something. "Kara will be fine. She's strong and this won't be the thing that kills her."

"Thank you Sam. Some days I'm not sure what I'd do without you, honestly. You're always there for me to deal with my problems." Alex said while her face was buried into Sam.

"Hey, Alex, it's okay. I'm not sure what I'd do without you either. When Ruby's dad left I've been struggling ever since with being a single, working parent. But you've made things so much easier, now I'm able to work more when you look after Ruby and you're honestly so good with her. I've never seen Ruby become so happy when I tell her I have to work late and whenever I see you two together I feel nothing but joy." Sam confessed to Alex.

"I'm glad Sam. I really enjoy looking after Ruby. I love kids and sometimes I feel like Ruby will be the closest I ever get to having a child of my own and I'm so glad to have the bond that we have." Alex now felt a lot better although she was still worried for Kara.

The two sat there in comfortable silence for a few minutes. Both thinking back on the events that had unfolded that day. Alex had calmed down and was no longer crying thanks to Sam and she was forever grateful.

Sam eventually broke the silence when she said "So... I'm not sure if you would want to be alone tonight so if you wanted to you're welcome to crash at my house."

Alex looked up at Sam as she said "Yeah, okay... that would be nice. Thank you Sam."

Alex then got up to go and say goodbye to Kara and left Lena with her. Alex and Sam set off towards Sam's home and decided it had been a long day.