Chapter 1: It's Over, Isn't It?

The following story is written by a fan, for fans. The purpose of this work is only for entertainment purposes and no monetary gain. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is owned by Nintendo. Please support the official release

Authors Notes: Kass's Theme always makes me relax and feel better so if you'd like, listen while you read. I listened to it while writing. Also there is a slight mention of blood but it's very minor. Also I don't know ASL personally (I should learn) but Link will be selectively mute. Okay that's it, here's where the fun begins!

Also can you tell I got really into it? I hope so!

Blinding light, that was the last thing Link remembered seeing. He heard yelling, a woman he knew to be Zelda. He couldn't think, couldn't speak, all he felt was the long grass of the fields tickling his neck and arms as he was lying down. His chest and face turned up towards the sky, eyes as still as stone. What was once a swirling purple mess of malice silently drifted away. Replaced with a gorgeous blue, the sky that comforted him on his long journey through the land. Whether listening to sweet accordion music watching the Rito fly about their home, reading while perched in the window of a stable, or admiring the beauty of the Zora capital, the sky was always there to greet him. He closed his eyes drifting off to sleep, unsure if he'd wake up. However the last thought that fell across his mind as he silently rested was of a brilliant blue.

Link's eyes slowly opened, squinting at the light coming from a window nearby. He slowly lifted himself into a sitting potions letting the blanket fall off of him. Exposing his entire shoulder and torso wrapped in bandages. A bit of dried blood here and there but nothing major. He rubbed his temple suddenly stiffening, panicked, remembering the day prior. Pieces here and there shot through his mind: Calamity Ganon, Zelda, the Beast, shooting arrows of light, and a bright light. He looked around the room observing his surroundings, he was in a room obviously. Simple wood walls with a desk and a drawer for clothes. A framed picture of Hyrule Fields on the wall and a single candle at his bedside table long extinguished. He shuffled his feet over attempting stand up suddenly having to sit back down when a sharp pain in his back caused him to cry out a small yelp. He heard quick movements from outside making it's way to his room. He moved into action on instinct looking for his sword or a weapon of any kind, there was nothing. He thought he may be able to wield the candlestick but perhaps it would just be better to fight with fists. The door shot open revealing... Zelda. He blinked, she was the exact same as he last saw her. Not when he fell in combat but in her usual garb. A blue elbow length shirt with white sleeves extending to her wrist. Brown belt that covered most of her wast leading to her black pants and boots. Adorned with gold fabric to lend to her regal lineage but casual enough to be comfortable in most environments. They stared at each other holding a gaze that spoke a thousand words. A beat later Zelda rushed to him, nearly tackling him and held him tightly. As Link let out another yelp she quickly jumped back hands flying up and covering her mouth and nose.

"Oh my Goddess I am so sorry Link! I just couldn't believe still it was really you, I thought we had lost you..." her tone suddenly dipping to a more somber level. Another second went by, " We...we did it, we really did it. After all the pain and loss we were able to do the impossible. After we even lost our fr-," a sob dying in her throat as she began again, "It's gone, the calamity, forever."

Link stared at her, deathly quiet. Which was impressive because he never spoke. He sat back up after nearly having the wind knocked out of him. He started signing to her:

"We did it? The Calamity is really gone?"  The expression on his face was heart wrenching. It was almost as if he didn't want to believe such a thing were possible because so much had been lost in the process. It seemed almost too good to be true.

"Yes, I've already began reconstruction on the castle and it seems all of the active guardians have shut down as well. I assume with some re-calibration they could be activated again using Sheikah technology but I don't think that would be quite appropriate right now," Zelda got progressively quicker as she spoke; always excited by scientific possibility.

Link smiled at this, she was the same old Zelda he remembered. He stood up slowly, aided by his bed, and was able to stand properly without being in pain. Zelda gasped

"You're injured! You shouldn't be moving, what are yo-" she began as he suddenly hugged her. After a moment she returned it and they stood there. A minute passed by, maybe two. They tightly embraced, they were two friends that had experienced so much together. Zelda will never admit it but Link was shaking slightly in her arms. She will also not admit that she felt wet droplets fall on her shoulder. They both cried, silent and heartfelt. For those minutes they were the only two people in the world for all they knew. After a time however Link slowly drew away looking her in the eyes again. They mirrored each other, red and puffy. Nothing however could distract from the wondrous smiles they had on their faces. However Link and especially Zelda were not the type to sit still, they immediately got to work. The castle was a wreck, to put it lightly.

All the malice may have gone but the structure itself was still in disarray. Getting assistance from Kakariko village and Hateno village they were able to spread the word and aid came in from all parts of the world. For maybe the first time ever: Sheikah stood next to Rito who stood next to Zora who then worked next to Gorons who also were working alongside Hylians. In a concentrated effort all manner of people from all walks of life gave their support to the Princess. Although she had no crown, and no kingdom, they still respected her and bowed their heads in her presence. Although at this point she didn't care for such formalities she went along with it to bolster morale. You know what they say, Hyrule wasn't built in a day.

During the reconstruction Link and Zelda frequently shared meals with the workers and beyond that they still worked nearby each other. Reconstructing an entire kingdom that has been gone untouched for a century was not an easy feat. It would take months to even make it habitable again with at least a year before they could begin rebuilding many of the utility systems the castle once sported. Yes, it was hard work and rough work but it was also rewarding. Every couple of hours Link would look up covered in grime and sweat and meet Zelda's eyes as she coordinated the rebuilding with some of the heads of construction. She would take a moment and flash him a smile that he would return; suddenly empowering him again to push further. After the day had ended only the only rooms in use were Zelda's, Link's, and a few others that held the other head coordinators. Link believed it was two Gorons, two Zora, and one Rito. No matter what became of the new castle it would be very different from the old one. Being influenced by many new and different types of architecture and cultures has that effect. Link watched the sun go down as he laid in bed imagining what new and interesting ways the castle would look. Maybe waterfalls allowing the Zora to enter easier, maybe some of the stone would be carved into to house Gorons, and maybe some housing higher in the sky to house Rito desiring to live there. These ideas swam through his head as he finally went to sleep. Body aching from lifting building material (they didn't want him to but he wouldn't relent) and from the previous days fight.

He fell into such a deep sleep, he didn't even notice his Sheikah slate light up with something new appearing on the screen