Law for the Wolves

November 10th, 2038
AM 07:33:16

Captain Allen didn't strike you as a man for decorating, and for that, you were correct.

What scarce personal items were in his office didn't amount to much in quantity...but you guessed if certain medals, awards, or pictures were important enough for him to frame and hang, they must've meant a great deal to him.

His wife and daughter in a family photo; the only picture he was smiling in.  Him and Chris in full flak jackets, helmets, and aviators – Chris with a big, stupid grin on his face.  The Marauders lined up with a DPD emblem backdrop, just as intense as they were in the briefing room.

"An interesting group of people under your charge, that's for sure."

He didn't respond.

Your thumbs spun around each other, waiting for him to say something.  He'd asked you to shut the door behind you and take a seat, but he'd been on his terminal responding to e-mails.  So you sat there, observing – soaking in the awkward silence.

A large picture caught your attention; one that spanned across the three chairs pushed against the left wall.  It was huge-

"Never gets any less frustrating..." The scowl on his face deepened, "Having two first names as a first and last name.  Do you know how many times a day I get called Allen instead of David?"

"I think I speak for most when I say it's hard to imagine anyone calling you anything but Captain Allen, sir."

He huffed, "That's good, I guess...Hold on.  Old Marine buddy just sent me a link to a broadcast."

He rotated the screen to show you CTN TV paused, with Michael Brinkley's face painted on the transparent monitor.

"Following the android crisis and the neutralization of all military androids, American forces in the Arctic have been forced to withdraw, leaving the way clear for the Russian army.

But according to some sources, the Russian forces also seem mysteriously to have withdrawn. The Kremlin has made no comment for the moment but it is quite possible that the Russian army has been confronted with a similar crisis among its own androids.

The Chairman of the United Nations, Douglas Cornwell, has called for the organization of an international conference on the status of the Arctic. In any case, the danger of a third World War seems to have been ruled out...for the moment."

He hit a key with a defining "click," and leaned back in his chair.

"Amateurs..."

He clasped his hands over his stomach, and laced his fingers.  Studied you with eyes that'd seen too much for one lifetime, and then nodded to the large picture you'd been looking at.

"My old battalion from Operation Urgent Fury."

It was a picture of him and eleven other soldiers, all loaded up with full Marine equipment.  Some were women, some were men.  They came from all ethnic backgrounds, proving to be a fairly diverse group.

A few of them had big, happy smiles on their faces; others were arrogant.  One didn't bother to smile, much like Allen – one of two not kneeling in a pose with the butt of his rifle on the ground.  He was standing off to the side, arms behind his back and sunglasses on his head, a raggedy shemagh around his neck.

"Notice anything weird about them?" He asked, a forlorn expression on his face, "Something that might...stick out?"

You squinted.