40. Possessed

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

It took me only seconds to get out of the school. I had never run so fast in my entire life. I could hear Jack right behind me, and I knew he would catch me. There was no way I could outrun a werewolf.

There was no one to help me. I couldn't feel Jaden anywhere near me. Jack would get whatever it was that he wanted from me. It was just a matter of seconds.

But I couldn't give up. I had to protect it, whatever it was. I knew I couldn't let Jack have it – he had to pry it off my cold, dead corpse. For once, I wasn't scared to death. I was afraid, of course, but I wasn't scared of him like I used to be. No. Now I was too busy going through that one list Arch spoke of a few days ago.

Things to kill a werewolf.

But I had none of the things he mentioned, not even silver!

Suddenly I heard an angry growl, and just a second later, I was lying in the snow, Jack lying on top of me. I fought back as hard as I could, but he turned me on my back with such ease it almost made me cry in frustration. How could I fight back against someone like him?

"You'll regret that, rat!" he growled, pulling his hand high above his head. I saw sharp claws glimmering in the sunrise as he prepared to slash me open.

It happened again. The radiant light flashed once again between us, and Jack howled in pain as it hit him. I didn't need anyone to tell me to run this time, when I crawled away from under him and got back up on my feet.

"GET BACK HERE!" Jack shouted, and if he was mad before, he was filled with rage now.

If I didn't come up with something to get him off me soon, I would be dead, and he would have his... what? What was it?! What the hell was going on?!

I didn't even watch where I was going. I wasn't going to go home, that was for sure, but the fresh snow made it difficult for me to run fast. Where could I go? The police station? I doubted I'd get that far, and what could they do? I was sure Jack would kill everyone in his madness!

I was running out of breath. Jack was again right behind me... I could feel his claws ripping my jacket and I tried to run faster, but...

"You can't outrun me, rat!" Jack yelled. "And I won't make the same mistake twice!"

Thrice... you moron...

I wasn't sure if it was my thought or someone else's. I made a hard turn to left just when he was about to catch me, and I sped up. I only got a few feet between us.

And it was enough.

Out of nowhere, a big, green Jeep appeared between us, almost crashing into a fence that was on my left, missing me only by inches. I stumbled and fell when I turned to look the big cloud of snow the car had lifted from the ground. For a moment, it was all I could see. I could hear the engine roaring, but it wasn't nearly as loud as the sounds of three, angry werewolves.