Ch. 12

Hermione knew something was going on with Ginny when she joined them in the courtyard. Pansy seemed to pick up on it too, but she didn't say anything, instead giving the red head odd looks every now and then.

"Do you guys think I should try out for the Harpies?" Ginny blurted out suddenly, looking at the other two girls.

Pansy gave her a surprised look but said, "I think you'd do great on that team! Why do you ask?"

"She's been grappling with that decision for months," Hermione explained before looking at Ginny. "What brought this up, Gin?"

"I was just thinking about it after practice today," Ginny shrugged. It wasn't necessarily a lie, but at the same time she wasn't ready to admit that Blaise was the actual reason. "Trying to get different opinions on it since I'm going to have to decide what I want to do after graduating soon."

"I say go for it," Pansy shrugged.

"And you already know how I feel on it," Hermione said with a nod before frowning at Ginny. "Is this because Ron would try to steer you off from it over the summer?"

"Kind of, yeah," Ginny sighed.

"What?" Pansy asked, looking between the two of them.

"Whenever I would bring up trying out for the Harpies," Ginny started explaining. "My brother would always try to convince me not to do it. He was always jealous that I was better at quidditch than him."

Pansy's brow furrowed. "That's rather petty. Has he always been so insecure?"

"Unfortunately, yes," Hermione sighed. "I think that's why he jumped on the Auror training. He wanted to excel in something, and no one else in his family is an Auror."

"Still, trying to turn someone off from their dreams just because it would be more successful than your own is kind of a shit thing to do," Pansy said unhappily. "I say do it just to spite your brother."

Ginny laughed. "I kind of expected that answer from you. I'm really thinking about it, I guess I'm just worried that I won't be good enough."

"You are more than good enough for the Harpies," Hermione said in a reassuring tone before gesturing around them. "Anyone here would agree."

Pansy nodded before asking, "What does Harry think about it?"

"He's actually been somewhat quiet on it," Ginny said sadly. "Whenever I brought it up, he'd think it was a good idea, but he wouldn't ever stop Ron from trying to get me to change my mind, so I don't know..."

Scowling, Pansy said, "I feel like he should fully support you on that if it's what you want to do. Any good boyfriend should do that if it's going to make you happy and will be good for you."

Ginny tilted her head back and forth, agreeing. She looked away towards the edge of the courtyard, zipping up her jacket and putting her hands in the front pocket. Hermione watched Ginny quietly, thinking that Ginny wasn't telling her everything.

"Is there something else bugging you?" Hermione asked, nudging her friend.

Ginny looked back to see that both Hermione and Pansy were watching her curiously, and she sighed. "It's nothing. Really."

"Lies," Pansy said. "What's going on?"

"It's nothing, I promise!" Ginny laughed nervously. "You two are thinking too much into it."

"Okay, when I can tell something is wrong, something is wrong," Pansy insisted. "Come on, what's up?"

Ginny didn't answer for a few moments, but she breathed a small sigh of relief when they were interrupted by Theo's sudden arrival.