41. Cedric

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

While we followed Mrs. Bundt to her house, I couldn't stop myself from peering over my shoulder every two seconds. All the figures were gone, and so was Jack, but I feared he would return with more of his... friends? Minions? I guess I wasn't the only one who was worried about it. Jaden was holding me tightly against his side the entire time, while Arch and Tilly walked right behind us, keeping an eye on our surroundings.

It was... nice and warm under Jaden's arm, with his scent all over me... I looked up at him, and he noticed it. When he looked at me, I saw a trail of blood on his cheek, but there was no wound.

"Are you all right?" I asked quietly. "Did you get hurt?"

"Nah, it's just my pride that took a hit," he muttered.

"That sure was embarrassing," Tilly said quietly, wiping some snow off her jacket. "I can't believe he possessed us..."

"We didn't know he can do that," Arch said. "Now we do."

"What were they?" I asked. "Those... black, smoke things?"

"Black smoke, huh..." Tilly spoke. "I didn't see them. I could feel them though. Nasty things..."

"No, we can't see them, because we're not connected with the spirit realm," Arch spoke slowly. "Am I right, Spirit Walker?"

Mrs. Bundt stopped in front of a tiny house. "That is correct," she said quietly, before walking up the stairs to her front door. "Let's not talk here in the cold, where everyone can hear us."

"Spirit Walker?" I repeated, but the werewolves didn't seem surprised at all. "What is that?"

I had a million more questions in my mind, and I was more than eager to finally understand what was going on, but no one said a word to me. Mrs. Bundt opened the door and stepped in. I was about to follow her, but Jaden wouldn't let me.

"Tilly," Jaden muttered, and she nodded.

Arch stayed outside with us, when Tilly walked in with Mrs. Bundt. It took me a moment to understand that she was making sure it was safe for us to enter. They didn't trust Mrs. Bundt. Suddenly I started feeling more insecure. The thought of not being able to trust Mrs. Bundt had never even crossed my mind, even after everything I had found out about her.

Had I been stupid?

"Clear," Tilly came to tell us, and Jaden led me inside, Arch following us a couple of steps behind.

I just couldn't believe Mrs. Bundt could be evil. She had always been so nice to me, and... and I had just started to believe she was one of the few who actually cared about me. The only one besides these werewolves.

No, I refused to believe she would want to harm me. I could sense when people wanted to harm me, and she never did, so I pushed that thought out of my head and studied the house instead.