Chapter 18- Apologies

Genevieve turned to look at Marinette, who stood there with a glum expression on her face.

"Marinette- it's not your fault..." She spoke, taking a few steps towards her.

"I-I didn't mean to be so... mean to her." Tears welled up in her eyes, a strong sense of guilt beginning to overtake her.

"You were trying to do the right thing," Genevieve reassured her and smiled gently. Though, nothing in that moment could help calm Marinette as she realized what she'd just done. In front of everyone.

Adrien still stood there with a shocked look on his face. Slowly, he reached his arm out and laid his hand on Marinette's shoulder. She flinched at his touch but relaxed into it almost immediately when she realized who it was.

"Marinette... I appreciate what you did for me."

She spun to face him, his body closing in on hers. "You didn't have to do that."

Marinette struggled to explain herself, sweat beginning to build upon her face.

What if he actually liked what was going on, and she ruined it for him?

Oh, how embarrassing...

But that can't be true. The look on Adrien's face said otherwise! Unless... Marinette honestly didn't know him like she thought she did.

"I-I knew you didn't- like it.. what she was d-doing...to you... I mean maybe you did... but like-" She scrambled for the right words but couldn't quite figure them out. Marinette stopped speaking and took a noticeably deep breath, her cheeks flushing a shade of pink.

"I need to go check on her..." She spun on her heels, tearing her gaze from his.

As she split away from her crush, Marinette was stopped by Genevieve midway to the door.

"Let me go instead. I know you feel bad, but it had to be done. I was quite surprised to see Brielle looking like that myself. Plus, she had her hands all over Adrien, and I could tell he was uncomfortable as could everyone else in this room if they really tried too."

Marinette hesitated, running it through her brain. She could just let Genevieve go confront Brielle about her actions, or she could go explain herself. What would Ladybug do?

I am Ladybug. And I need to take responsibility for my actions.

"No."

Genevieve tensed.

"What do you mean?" She asked, confused.

Marinette lowered her voice to mask her words from the surrounding people.

"I need to go with to apologize. I was out of line."

"So was she," Adrien muttered from behind, yet nobody seemed to hear. He understood what she did and why she did it, but there was no convincing her she did the right thing right now. He had to respect her wishes and let her go without causing a scene, even if it pained his heart to know how upset she was.

Genevieve started to walk towards the hall, Marinette trailing awkwardly behind her. As they exited the room, Adrien stared at the girl once again, stunned and confused by her sudden and unexpected bold actions.