Chapter 34: The Actor

CASPIAN'S POV
I am in the training room when they enter. Gideon and Gabriel Lightwood. I have never met them before, but I know that Ella holds them in high regard.

I tilt my head sideways at them, sweat beading down my neck.

"You must be Gideon and Gabriel Lightwood," I say casually, laying down my knife.

"That we are," Gabriel, the taller yet younger of the two says.

"And you are?" Gideon asks in an almost bored tone.

"Caspian."

I am used to acting. The only person who I can't act in front of is Ella. She knows me too well. We had trained together for about twelve years. We both knew what the other was going to do before we did it.

"We've never heard of you," Gabriel says, scowling.

  I'm amused, but I don't show it. I simply look confused.

  "I've been staying here for a while now," I say.

  Sophie enters the room, and I notice the way Gideon tracks her movements. Ella is right beside her of course, grinning as Sophie tells her something.

  Sophie falls silent when she realises that Gideon is looking at her, and Ella finally takes note of her surroundings. She tends to miss out on certain details at times.

  "Caspian? What are you doing here?" She asks. I can tell from her face that she's remembering what happened between us in the morning. I'm always the better one at hiding emotions.

  "I was training," I say innocently.

  "Is that why you weren't at breakfast?" Ella frowns.

  I smile. "You worry too much. I wasn't hungry."

  Ella rolls her eyes and goes over to the Lightwoods.

  "That's my Brother," She says simply.

  Gabriel's eyes widen, and Gideon raises an eyebrow.

  "Interesting," is all he says.

  Then Will and Tessa enter. I look over at Ella. As usual, it only takes one look for her to understand me.

  "We'll see you two later," Ella whispers to the Lightwoods, then heads to my side.

  "What are you two doing here?" Will asks us.

  His eyes linger on my sister. How blind she is, not realising that the boy in front of her and behind her both love her.

  "Just saying a quick greeting," Ella smiles at Tessa. "What are you doing here?"

  "I decided to watch them train," Will says, sneering.

  I blink, faking confusion.

  "Come on, Caspian," Ella says. "Let's leave them to their training."

  I shrug and follow Ella out.

  "I'm going to meet Jem," Ella says. "What are you going to do?"

  "Just walk around," I say casually, smirking. "I'll see you at night?"

  "You know I'll be there," Ella says, laughing.

  She has our mother's laugh. Pure, melodious and rich with love at times. Our Mother was a Starkweather. Aloysius Starkweather was her Grandfather. Even so, Ella and I usually dismiss the fact that we're related to the Starkweathers, as do they.

  We both take after our Father more. The Nightstorm family originated from Germany. That's where Ella got her blue-green eyes and where I got my blond hair from. My eyes are my mother's, and so is Ella's hair. But we are more similar to our Father.