56 - Veering Off The Path

I didn't sleep well that night.

I was frustrated about what happened with Lionel. I hadn't thought further about why Lionel had distanced himself... but for it to be something big enough to change him that much...

I know that he has had his first kill and that he has been to war... but that on its own should not have been enough to make him act like that. Lionel had an incredibly sturdy mind that bounces back fast. I have used killing intent on him many times just to make him quiver... but he has always bounced back as if he doesn't care at all.

Could that man full of willpower really have broken? His family has always dealt with war... his father should have properly prepared him for the horrors of war... even the ordeal with the stepmother should have prepared him... and even if he had taken the first meeting with war badly... they should have methods of dealing with it... Furthermore, though he's been avoiding me, it never seemed like he was doing bad in any other contexts.

I'm confused.

I was certain he would have turned out differently since all his brothers were alive. Even Bertram, who is working hard to become a knight worthy of entering the knight classes here along with Reynold.

I've no choice left but to blame the author of the book for now.

This morning Magdalin placed a plate of breaded fried fish on my plate along with the rest of my breakfast. But... when I asked her why she just gave me a little smile and went 'you looked as though you were in the mood for it'... she was right. I enjoy fish a lot... not too warm though...

Do I look a certain way when I want fish?

Either way, with that I have yet another day of possible lovey lovey events to deal with.

That is, if our Heroine is not too broken hearted from last night.

---*---

She was not...

Not at all.

It was like last night hadn't happened at all. She entered the room with a sparkly atmosphere that appeared to brighten the room. All except with the corner where Jesmaine was curling up, looking exhausted with worry.

I've done nothing to Jesmaine, just in case you were wondering.

Our foreigner students appear to have made little groups and seem to be comparing notes for the lessons today... though, it is a rather light day today.

The knight students have started their standard schedule, but the rest of us will have another short day, followed my so called 'free time' to socialize.

"William-sama!"

Our beloved Heroine draws the attention of the class as William enters the room. He jolts with surprise at the fluffy small being approaching him. Remember, he is used to someone like me being around.

"Yes, Miss Talwen?" He speaks out politely after gathering himself.

Claire looks a bit nervous for a moment before she finally speaks.

"I really wanted to tell you this... but... I was really touched by your speech at the introduction!"

She has gathered her hand in front of her and rubs her hands against each other. When she looks up at William, it is with admiration. I tinge of annoyance spreads through me at her cheerful behavior. She'd just have her heart crushed last night, was she not upon the other men too fast?

I shouldn't think about it. This wasn't a part of the novel either, so I have no reference as to what she may be thinking right now. Maybe she is really just declaring her admiration.