Saving Him

Thankfully, the dungeons weren't too hard to find. All she had to do was keep going down stairs until the hallways grew narrow and the air chilled. Finally, the passage widened, revealing a barred metal gate, past which were rows of cells. Two Reapers stood guard at the entrance. Carissa stifled a sigh, remaining just out of sight. Of course there were Reapers.

They slowly turned towards where she hid, their faces turned into black voids by their hoods. That's right. They could sense her, just as she could sense them.

Carissa bit back a curse and began stumbling up the stairs with the grace of a drunken sailor. Only too late did she hear dozens of footsteps descending down the stairs.

Lands. Now what should she do? Go back down?

Before she could change directions, the owners of the footsteps came into view. More guards.

Carissa nearly drew her dagger before remembering she wore the same armor they did. The guard at the head slowed and approached her, and she kept her head down.

His feet stopped a few inches in front of her, standing one stair step higher. "Guard, you don't go ahead of your group. Understood?"

Carissa nodded, relief washing over her. He'd assumed she was another guard.

"Now stay at the back of the line or I'll flog you bloody." He jerked his head back up the stairs. Behind him was a long string of guards. Once their leader marched forward, the others followed. Carissa waited and slipped into the back of the group.

The leader halted before the Reapers. "We are to escort the King to Zorelle."

Carissa felt her blood freeze over. Perhaps Zorelle was a common name.

One Reaper unlocked the gate before they both stepped back. As Carissa and the guards filed into the prison, the Reaper's gazes searched the group of about fifteen guards. She tried to remain huddled with the few guards in the back of the line to blend in, and she passed through without them stopping her.

The metal gate clanged shut behind her. Even if she were to rescue Elon, they'd need the Reapers to let them back out. And she doubted they'd be obliging.

As they entered the dungeons, the group suddenly slowed. The leader pointed to a cell on their left. "That is where the King was initially imprisoned."

As Carissa looked closer, she realized the bars were warped and misshapen. Had Elon done that? Her heartbeat hitched. Typically if he was taken captive, he was rather calm, assured of himself and the future. If he'd been so determined to escape, he must have been truly afraid for her.

Their leader scanned their expressions. "Impressive, I know. Remember that when we're escorting the King. He may appear to be little more than a boy, but he is not to be trifled with. Use extreme caution, and ensure the gems are always touching his skin."

Which meant that her first goal would be making sure these gems weren't touching him.

As they passed more cells, Carissa caught sight of Kybelle, Algernon, and Lyron, contained in adjacent cells and all looking equally downtrodden. Except for Algernon. He spat in their direction and muttered something insulting about their mothers.

Carissa tamped down the urge to wave at them. She'd come after them soon enough, but she had to save Elon first. With Elon at her side, she could take on any Reapers and guards that dared to come their way.

And then the guards approached a stairwell, descending further into the dungeons. Carissa gritted her teeth as she stumbled down the first steps, leaning heavily against the wall. A few soldiers grunted and pushed past her as she fell behind. After a few moments, she was completely left behind.