Ch. 13

Hermione waited patiently outside of the Headmistress's office, wondering what exactly she had done to warrant such a short-sounding note from Professor McGonagall. When Draco appeared around the corner, she both groaned inwardly and felt relieved, realizing it wasn't something that she had done but rather something they most likely needed to do together.

He stopped a few feet away from her and she immediately stared straight forward at the statue, trying to make it look like she was observing it.

"Hey."

His voice was unexpectedly quiet and she couldn't help but glance over at him. "Hi."

They looked at each other in awkward silence for a few moments before he looked at the statue. "What do you think this is about?"

"I'm not sure," She answered truthfully. "Hopefully we'll find out soon."

Almost on cue, the statue began to turn to reveal stairs, and when it stopped, Draco gestured for Hermione to walk up first. Soon they were both standing in the middle of the office as Professor McGonagall stood up from behind her desk.

"Good evening," She greeted them with a nod. "I'm sure you both are wondering why I have asked you to come here."

Hermione nodded as Draco stood silently.

"Well, it has been brought to my attention that many of the prefects have been splitting up instead of staying together during their patrols," She said, looking at the two of them. "And I was also informed that the two of you are not patrolling together."

Draco stared at the Headmistress while Hermione began to stumble out an excuse. "Well...I...we..."

Professor McGonagall held up a hand to silence her and Hermione immediately looked down at her shoes, shifting her weight.

"There's no need for excuses, Miss Granger," Professor McGonagall said firmly. "Now, the reason I insist that prefects patrol together is so that points are not given or taken away freely, as well as it is always safer to travel together. Especially with the amount of trouble our students seem to get into in this castle."

Draco tried to fight a grin at that last part as the Headmistress went on: "Now, I have come up with a list of the new pairings for prefects, and I feel this will allow for each house to be kept in check when it comes to giving and taking away house points."

She held out a rolled up piece of parchment to them which Draco took before Hermione could, and he nodded as he said, "We will inform the prefects of their new pairings tonight."

"Very good, Mister Malfoy," Professor McGonagall nodded. "And I also would like for the two of you to patrol together again."

The two of them nodded in response and she dismissed them, returning to her desk as they both made their way back down the stairs.

"The prefects are not going to like this at all," Hermione groaned, turning around and reaching out a hand for the scroll.

Draco held on to it however, tucking it into one of his back pockets and saying, "I can hold onto it until tonight; it's only a few hours."

Her hand dropped slightly and then she let it fall to her side as she nodded. "Alright."

They looked at each other for a few moments before she turned away and started walking down the corridor. He watched her walk away, torn between staying there and calling after her. Though, he had no idea what he would say to her, and that bothered him.

He waited a few minutes to head back down as well, having to go in somewhat of the same direction. As he walked, he reminded himself that she was with Weasley and most likely wouldn't return any feelings he had, especially since he had been ignoring her for the past month.