Chapter 37

The ride to the clinic was unusually a quiet one

Few minutes after their arrival, Natalia had said she was going to get them some breakfast from the restaurant across the street, but she had been long gone. However, knowing her friend needed some personal space, Emery gave her that.

But now as Emery sat in the obstetricians waiting room, the loneliness began to creep in.

She did her very best to avoid looking to her left, where a loving husband was massaging his wife's bump, or at the young couple from across her, who had their arms wrapped around each other.

"Miss Hamilton?" Emery was brought to mind when a middle-aged woman in white scrubs called out to her.

"Right here." Given the chance to extricate herself from the lonely zone, Emery scurried to her feet.

"Please come with me." the nurse led her into the doctor's office. "have a seat, Doctor Hayes will be with you shortly."

"Thank you."

The very second Emery was left alone, her cracked nerves resurrected, and not even the engaging posters on the baby pink walls could calm her down.

When the gush of running water from the room to her far-left ceased, she turned in time to see a familiar woman walk out of the washroom.

"I hear we have good news." The doctor said as she made her way to the chair from across her. "Congratulations, Em."

"Thanks, Lucy. How is Alexis?"

"Oh dear, that girl is getting more inquisitive and more of a talkative but I will survive." her warm amber eyes twinkled as usual as she talked about her daughter.

"Glad to hear that."

"And where is my crazy little sister?"

Emery chuckled. "She went to grab some breakfast."

"OK... so like I said last evening, I don't normally see patients until they're about eight weeks along because then, you get clear results. But seeing as this is your first pregnancy, it's good you scheduled a prenatal visit so I can make an exception."

"Thank you."

"You're most welcome. For now we are going to take another test to confirm things, and I will also collect your health records to check if there is any special care you might need during your pregnancy. After which, I will schedule your first official appointment which will probably be weeks from today. Hope we are good with this?" Emery nodded. "Good, please come with me." she followed the Doctor to the examining room.

After going through the clinical test, Emery was surprisingly collected when the results came out positive once again.

Later, when she had given her medical history and booked her next appointment, she thanked her now self-acquired obstetrician and made her way back to the waiting room.