Chapter 15

Sometimes, all I think about is you
Late nights in the middle of June
- Glass Animals - 

Mystic Falls

She couldn't get him out of her mind. Whatever she did to try and distract her, her mind would eventually take back to him. His cocky smile, his accent, his dirty blond curly hair – and everything else. How his touch felt on her skin, how his hot breath felt on her neck... How it felt to be kissed by him

"Care!" Katherine nudged Caroline's arm with her elbows. "Are you with us?"

Shoot. She thought to herself. She realized she had been thinking about him, yet again. She wanted to stop, she really did. Klaus was just a chapter in her story, so she wanted to believe. Now he's gone back to his life of doing God knows what, and she's back in her normal, mundane life without any kidnappings nor any revenge schemes to plan. Just the way she wanted it, a simple one.

He's gone, she reassured herself. I'm never going to have to deal with him or even see him ever again.

As much as she wanted that to be a positive thing, it stung her like nothing has ever before. The thought of never having to see him again, or the thought of never feeling him close to her ever again or hearing his deep voice...

STOP IT CAROLINE! She scolded herself. That's enough!

But out loud she said. "Ahem— I'm sorry. I don't... I spaced out a little. What were you guys talking about?"

"A girls trip!" Bonnie exclaimed.

"To Vegas! This weekend!" Elena whoo-hooed.

Vegas!? She should be more excited about it, but the truth was, she wasn't. She just didn't have the energy to go through anything at this point. All she wanted to do these days was just lay in bed and never get out.

"Yes!" Caroline forced a grin on her face. "Of course!" she joined in whoo-hoo-ing with the rest of the gang as they raised their glasses, clanked it and downed it their throats.

Just then, an awestriking crack of thunder filled the room, startling everyone inside the Mystic Grill, which in no time fell silent and with high pitched screams at the same time. Everyone ran in whichever direction, some hiding under their tables, others jumping over the bar to barricade themselves behind it. Then again, the man in black raised his hand up towards the ceiling and fired. The sound echoed, once... Twice... Then for the third time before one of the six masked men yelled.

"Everybody, stay the fuck calm. Nobody needs to get hurt, as long as you cooperate." He then moved as the rest followed him. "Stay where you are! Now, don't try to be a hero, because, I can assure you, it will end very, very badly for you." He stopped next to a table, glancing down at the blonde hiding under it. He grabbed her by the hair and lifted her up on her feet. She took a good look at her face and let her go. "Stay there." He ordered.

As they went from table to table, person to person, scanning, looking for someone in particular for sure, Caroline's heart was pounding against her chest so hard, she was afraid it was going to explode in her. She and the rest were hiding under the table they were drinking just seconds ago, balling up, hugging each other.

"What the fuck is going on?" Katherine whispered.

"I don't know, Kat," Elena hissed back. "Be quiet. Don't draw attention."

"Looks like they are searching for someone," Bonnie observed their movements. "But... Why? And who?"

Klaus? Caroline immediately thought. Is this his doing? Did he change his mind about letting me go? Did he send these people to take me back? But –

Her thoughts were interrupted as she felt someone grab her by the hair and lift her up. She yelped in pain, but the man had no mercy, as he kept pulling her hair until she stood up on her feet. He scanned her face, observantly as she held her breath until her lungs almost exploded.

"Caroline Forbes?" The emphasis on Forbes rubbed her the wrong way, as if it was something dirty. She could barely move her head to nod a yes, since his fingers were tightly grabbing her by the hair.

"Wrap it up, guys!" He informed, as he started dragging Caroline alongside him by the hair. Everyone else looked in awe as the five other men followed towards the door when Bonnie stood up and yelled.

"No! Let her go! You can't just –" She jolted on her feet as one of them fired up at the ceiling.

Katherine's rage build up, like it normally does. She calmly got up, smoothly grabbing the beer bottle on the table as she walked on her heels towards them, too normally.

"Was I not being clear when I warned you about not being a hero!" the man grabbing Caroline's hair said in a mocking tone, in his British accent, as he pointed the gun at Katherine.

"Katherine!" Elena yelled for her sister, getting out from under the table.

"Kat! Don't!" Caroline cried.

"I don't think you understood my friend Bon-bon," she smirked. "You're not leaving with Care. Or if you're then at least we gotta see your –" Then without warning, she smashed the bottle across the man's face, with all her might, breaking it into bits. The man screamed in pain letting go of his gun and Caroline at the same time and bringing both his hands to his face. That's when Katherine pulled off his mask, so that everyone there can have a good look at him. She knew they would take Caroline, there was no stopping it. But at least this way, they could all have a face to chase. She also had a pretty good guess of what was bound to happen next. A reverberating bang brought about gasps and then silent upon the Grill. Katherine stumbled back and stared down at the red blossoming on her abdomen, before she collapsed and the broken bottle clattered to the floor right before she did.

Caroline, Elena and Bonnie's screams echoed as the men dragged the blonde out of the Grill, while Elena and Bonnie ran towards an unconscious Katherine.