Chapter 5

"Come on, Quinn, we're gonna be late. I need your advice. I'm going for an 'I'm-totally-into-you-but-I'm-not-an-easy-slut' look," Lexi called through the door as I was getting dressed.

"You look hot in anything, Lex, relax," I tried to calm her nerves with positive affirmation.
"Can you come check me? Pleaaaaaase?" she begged.

"Yeah, okay. I'm almost done," I answered, tying up my dirty runners. Track pants, tank top, hoodie, and hair down with a beanie almost covering my eyes. Everyone, leave me alone. I'm not in the mood for fukbois. That's about as subtle as a flying brick, right?

Plodding out of my bedroom, I told Lexi she looked very chic. She looked me up and gave a bit of a frown, trying hard to hide her surprise at my dreary outfit.
"I'm going for the 'don't-effing-come-near-me-or-I'll-bite-your-balls-off' look," I said in the girliest voice I could manage. She sniggered and gave a nod, knowing full well I planned to keep sleazy guys, a.k.a. Mason, away from me tonight.

When we arrived at Jim's tavern, Lexi was a ball of nerves, going through a whole packet of gum before we even got let inside.

"Chill, Lex. What're you so nervous about?" I massaged her shoulders, willing her to relax.

"He said he's playing for me tonight," she covered her mouth like she'd spilled the ultimate secret.

"That's so romantic!"

"I know, right? I'm just really excited to see him after the show. Those lips, man, I've been staring at them all day wondering what they feel like," she drifted off into her imaginary makeout session with Zach, staring into space. I laughed and shook my head at her. Romantic little love bug she was.

To be honest, I was nervous too. Back home, my strict Christian parents would never have allowed me out past 6 p.m. or listen to anything other than old church hymns. Lexi had to explain to me what 'Footloose' was before I understood the joke she'd made, asking me if my real name was Ariel. I felt a little rebellious even setting foot in the tavern, but Lexi had been there for me all summer. I had to at least show the same courtesy of supporting her.

Once we were inside, I saw the band up on stage tuning their guitars and talking about the song list, I presumed. The bar ran along the left side of the room, and small round tables and chairs were scattered evenly in front of the stage. Very cozy.

Mostly younger people were hanging out, making conversation, while others were ordering multi-colored drinks at the bar. The barman was an older guy with a plump middle and smile lines around his eyes. I decided that sitting at the bar with jolly old barman was my safest bet.

"I'm gonna go sit over here, Lex," I pointed towards the stools lined up neatly. It was either the bar or directly in front of the band. The bar felt like the lesser of two evils.

"Okay, I'm going up front so I can perv on Zach," she said and practically ran to the table front and center.

I took my seat on a rickety old wooden bar stool and leaned against the counter for support. I quickly checked on Lexi in the front and shifted my gaze slightly upwards to the band. 'The Amity Project' was plastered all over the drum kit and the big banner behind them. Zach was tuning his guitar while the drummer stretched out his wrists and joints with a series of odd movements. I missed playing.

Before I could continue my train of thought, my breath caught in my throat as I laid my eyes on Mason. He was standing on stage in his ripped jeans and black tank top. His dark ruffled hair falling ever so slightly in his eyes as he stood looking down at his electric guitar, tuning each string. His thick muscles were covered in tattoos, tensing and relaxing with each movement he made. Seriously, who was that muscular at 22? Did he camp out at the gym and live off raw eggs or something?