Chapter 48

Leah

Mother always told me that I was strong when I was young.

You've got the power to overcome anything, she'd say to me.

Hearing things like that from the woman that you adore travels straight to your heart. And somehow – even though she couldn't keep that support up – her words stayed with me.

I grew up with fire inside of my heart. Fire that allowed me to run and escape from things that bothered me; fire that allowed me to love with passion; fire that made me hate in the same way, and passion that gave me courage in the hardest times.

That was the one reason why I never hated my parents.

They may have turned their backs when things got hard but they taught me how to fight.

Even if by the end.... they were the people that I was fighting against.

As I stood and gazed up at the dark Estate that sent chills running down my spine – I inhaled sharply.

The courage that I had gathered over the years was finally rising to the surface. This was the time to prove myself – to prove that I was able to risk anything for the people that I loved.

This was the time to prove that nothing could get in my way.

"Catherine?"

A stern-looking woman stood before my eyes. Her wrinkled face was stiff and I wondered whether she was speaking to me or not. Her eyes were moving over my face as if she was judging me before I could even make an impression.

And by the way her eyebrow raised up and her lips became even more crinkled than before – I assumed her first impression wasn't very pleasant.

"Yes?" I responded in the most genuine tone I could muster.

Catherine. That was the name that I was possessing for the next week.

"Come," Her body turned and her high-heeled shoes clicked on the floor. I quickly moved behind her in order to keep up with her relentless, quick walking.

The Estate was cold – the workers looking as if they were part of some cult.

I wondered how Eva was able to work at such a horrible place. Surely her warmth and happiness stuck out like a sore thumb.

Eventually we arrived at one of the main buildings. I walked down the hallways with the woman strolling infront of me – not a single word coming from her mouth until we stopped before an office.

"Mr Rosso is expecting you. Answer his questions and don't argue."

I was stunned by how aggressive her tone was. Before I could thank her or even speak a word – she walked in the opposite direction and left my vulnerability exposed in the empty hallway.

I looked at the door and inhaled.

Be strong.

I knocked on the door and waited for a few moments before I heard a masculine voice from the other side.

"Enter."

I opened the door and walked inside the huge room. There was someone sitting behind the desk on the far side of the office but I couldn't properly see them until I closed the door and began walking over.

That's when I recognised Antonio.

I'd seen him on pictures and heard about his appearance but damn.... seeing him in person made me disgusted.