Chapter 13: Cut Throat

The week had gone by pretty fast. Say what she will about how she disliked Zach for all his cruelty, and his cockiness, but being accommodated under the Williams residence, definitely had its perks. 

 For one, she had Miss Loide to help her iron out every single detail of her life for her – quite literally. She suspected it was probably Zach who had a discussion with his staff, after their whole ordeal with the purchasing of pads. When she had come back to her room on Monday after school she found an entire section in her bathroom was filled with ladies toiletries that could basically last her for the entire year. 

+Then there was her school uniform, of which she had only one. However on the Monday, she found in her walk-in wardrobe an entire section of uniforms for her, with obvious modifications that fit her like a glove. And most importantly it was the food. The food was plentiful, with different chefs and different cuisines assigned to each day.

She was surprised to be informed that in the evenings Zach was 'practicing' for his Thursday sessions. However what specifically was his schedule on Thursdays no one would speak on that. 

This basically meant that most days of the week Leila was eating alone, which she didn't mind at all. Room Service was her favorite go to thing nowadays, where she could just laze around in her larger than life room. For the first time in her life, Leila was really free. Free to do whatever it is that she wanted to do. How strange that she should find her new freedom no less in Zach William's house.

The other subtle difference Leila had noticed was Royal High School itself. It wasn't as though her status had changed, she was poor when she arrived and she still remained poor when she got thrust into Zach William's house. However, there was a difference in how she was being perceived at Royal High. Instead of being on the receiving end of sneering laughs and looks for her basic school bag and lack of any designer items in her locker. 

The girls seemed almost weary of Leila now...as though being associated to Zach had now elevated her status somehow. Thomas too eluded to this same concept at their lockers, where she was waiting for him.

"you know.......I bet if you stopped sitting on the beggars table, and moved to another table.....I don't think anyone would object.." he said enthusiastically. Leila laughed "right..and why would I want to move from our table? When it has the best seats in the hall !" she laughed joking with him.

"Any update on Justin yet..?" she asked after a minute. Thomas face sunk in a little bit "he's still recovering.....but it will take a while till his back on his feet.."

"oh...and what were his parents told?" She asked

"basically that he had some sort of freak accident while playing at school ...you know his parents aren't really well educated...they are simple people, who came out to the city to live their big city dreams...they bought the whole story...they were even thankful to the Williams foundation for footing the hospital bill ! Just imagine !" he said sourly.

Leila felt sick to her stomach when she remembered how Justin got to the state his in.

She heard a deep masculine voice clear his throat from behind. Thomas turned around, "Don't you have a class you're getting late for Thomas?" the authoritative voice called out. Thomas had his head slightly bowed "see you Leila" he mumbled quietly as he left. Leila turned around irritated looking at the owner of the voice .

Xavier Johnston, standing and leaning on Leila's locker. She frowned at him, and then turned her back to him, getting her books back into her locker "And don't you have a class you're getting late to.." she said irritated.