Show, Never Tell

^my bby I love her so much

request for anonymous : The reader has been so wrapped up in helping Newt with his research that she has completely forgotten to eat at all that day. Newt finally notices when he is interrupted by the reader's tummy rumbling loudly at the end of the day. Newt teases her a bit by comparing the noises to something absurdly loud, but stops when he sees that the reader is a little embarrassed and reassures her it's okay while he gently rubs her tummy. He asks her when the last time she ate was and the reader answers that it was the day before. He offers to get her something to eat just as his tummy begins rumbling. He admits that he may or may not have skipped lunch to do some extra work on his book. They finally agree to get something to eat.

~~~

Penny the Zouwu purred by your side, flaming red mane tickling your side as you sketched her flat face and long, elegant, swirling body. You'd always had an affinity for Zouwu's, having saved one as a child, and Penny was perhaps your favorite beast out of all of Newt's creatures. She, however, was one of the only creatures you hadn't had time to properly observe and record, so you volunteered to do it. Any excuse to spend time with Penny was a good excuse.

"Hold still," you murmured, petting her head to keep her in place. She purred contentedly, eyes floating closed in happiness. You sketched the last curve of her tail, getting the flow finally right. "Good girl!" You beamed and scratched her chin.

"Have you finished Penny's drawing?" A voice asked from behind you. A grin appeared on your face and a chill went down your spine. Newt always had that affect on you, even after you'd started dating.

"Yes, finally. She wasn't holding still." You held up the drawing for Newt to see proudly. He came over and wrapped his arms around your shoulder, ignoring Penny's pawing at his shoulder for him to pet her.

"It's amazing, (Y/N). It'll be perfect for the book."

You smiled even wider, cheeks going pink. "Thank you, love."

"Why don't we go to bed, it's getting late-"

And then, something horrible happened.

Your stomach rumbled.

"What was that?" Newt laughed incredulously. "It sounded like the occamies when I tried to clean their shells!"

"Oh, um, it's nothing," you answered, cheeks flaming red from embarrassment. You scooted in closer to Penny, hoping you could melt into her copper fur and hide from your humiliation.

Newt appeared in front of you, a mischievous grin on his face, ready to tease you some more. But, when he saw your embarrassment, the smile melted away, replaced by loving concern.

"Hey, it's alright. We all get hungry," he murmured softly, settling to his knees and taking your hands. "When was the last time you ate?"

You thought back, trying to remember the last time you had sat down for a proper meal. When was the last time you had eaten?

"Um... yesterday morning, I think?" Your stomach rumbled again.

Newt laughed softly, leaning forward and placing his ear next to your stomach. With his hand he rubbed your waist, thumb grazing the soft flesh of your belly lovingly. "Hello, (Y/N)'s tummy," he joked warmly. "Nice to meet you. Let's get some food in you, shall we?"

And then something even worse happened.

His stomach growled.

You burst out into peals of laughter, leaning against Penny, who sniffed your hair confusedly as you giggled. "Oh my goodness!" You gasped. "Newt, when was the last time you ate?!"

Newt blushed, crossing his arms over his tummy protectively. "I... may... have skipped lunch to do work," he admitted. "But this isn't about me! You haven't eaten since yesterday!"

"Aw, babe!" You guffawed, ignoring Penny's incessant rubbing against your shoulder. "Don't worry about it. It's cute."

Newt grinned sheepishly, reaching over your shoulder to finally scratch Penny's soft coat. He kissed your cheek lovingly. "Let's get some food, shall we?"

Penny pushed you forward into Newt's arms. You placed your hands on his jaw, him wrapping his arms around your torso. You kissed the tip of his nose affectionately. "Yes, let's get some food. For your sake."

"Hey!"

~~~

short and sweet

I'm doing a birthday one soon and then I have like four other ones that I'm working on so there will be updates galore soon

love yalll

-Elise