Thank You

I rush to type the rest of the essay, checking the clock on my phone every couple of sentences. Suddenly, the light flicks off.

"What the-"

It clicks back on and Dad stand at the doorway. "Sorry, sweetie. I thought you were asleep," he apologizes, walking into my room. "No after school nap today?"

"Nope. I have to finish this essay before Vincent comes to pick me up," I explain without pause, fearing I'll lose my train of thought.

"Where are you going?"

"A haunted house."

"That boy! Trying to take advantage of my little girl by making her scared and then swooping in like some hero-"

"It was my idea," I laugh, finishing the sentence. "Finished," I sigh in relief.

"You like that kind of stuff? You never want to watch horror movies with Wren and me."

"I felt like trying something new."

"That boy has you in a trance. You don't care about your old man and sister anymore." Dad pretends to hold back tears.

"I'll watch a movie with you guys tomorrow," I offer.

"That's more like it," Dad slaps me on the back so hard my soul almost leaves me body. "Make dinner tomorrow too. I'm getting sick of take-out."

"Alright," I agree, closing my laptop.

"Well, I won't bother you anymore. I gotta run to the store anyways for tomorrow's dinner." Dad leaves my room, closing the door on his way out.

Checking to make sure he was gone, I take the bag out from under my desk and lay out the contents on my bed. Since it was last minute, I couldn't go out to buy a proper outfit, so instead I borrowed one from my friends.

Evelyn lent me her ankle-high black heeled boots; Olivia gave me a high-waisted, red pleated skirt; Ally bought me a black, tiny, tight top I'm convinced she found in the toddler section; Vivian finished it off with a wispy, rose-patterned cardigan. At the bottom is a sticky note telling me to wear it with a side braid.

Though I asked them for something toned-down, they were determined to make me dress as feminine as possible. It was too late to change plans anyways, and I didn't want to waste their efforts in helping me plan, so I put on the clothes and do my hair like they told me to.

Walking out of my room and towards the bathroom, Wren stop me in the hallway, balancing some snacks she plans to take into her room.

"Woah," she awes, crunching her chips before continuing. "What happened to you?"

"Is it weird?" I ask, trying to pull down the skirt, but then it reveals part of my stomach. Trying to pull down my crop top down a bit to fix it, I realize the neckline is too low and adjust my top back up. Either way, it felt too revealing everywhere.

"When did you get boobs?" Wren asks. "I mean, they're still small, but at least they exist."

"Haha, funny," I say sarcastically.

"No, seriously though. I've never seen them under your over-sized clothes."

"I'm kind of regretting this already. Maybe I should change into something else-"

The bell rings.

"Too late," Wren grins.

I groan and try to wobble my way down the stairs in the heeled boots. Opening the door for Vincent, I see his mouth immediately drop. My hand instinctively fly up to cover his eyes, but he pulls them down.