[ CHAPTER TWELVE ]

1000 A.D

     Ignoring the string of curses that radiated from the bedroom, Astrid placed a pot of water above the fire before she pouring the bowl of mixed oats and barley into the pot

As she began mixing the cauldron with a ladle, soft footsteps captured her attention. Barefooted and wearing only his cotton breeches, Niklaus sauntered past her, silently taking a seat at the table.

Astrid didn't even need to spare a glance towards her husband to know he was most likely pouting, before the door of their small, cosy dwelling slammed open.

With his usual mischievous grin intact, and clearly having no quarrels about walking in their household unannounced, Kol strutted in.

Not even chiming a welcome to the couple, Kol took a seat opposite Nik, lazily swinging his legs on the table top as he leaned back against the chair.

"Well, hello to you too, Kol." Nik muttered tensely, rolling his eyes at his younger brother as a wave of irritation washed over him.

Why was he visiting? What did he want?

Niklaus usually wouldn't mind his family visiting, he enjoyed when they came round, however, if anything Kol's presence irked him that morning.

Playing ignorance towards his brother, Kol's attention drifted behind him.

Niklaus didn't even need to turn to realize what had so suddenly entranced Kol, his attention no doubt focused on Astrid and her gaping neckline that displayed a greedy amount of ample cleavage.

Fingers clenching by his sides beneath the table top, Niklaus rolled his shoulders, inhaling deeply before he released a calming breath.

Kol didn't seem to notice his brother's clear attempt to calm down, finding Astrid's gown much more interesting than the presence of his brother.

Clearly astounded by Kol's sudden appearance, Astrid pulled the robe closer to her body, her cheeks flushing in embarrassment, knowing the many marks Niklaus had pleasurably made with his lips were on show.

Clearing her throat uncomfortably, Astrid wrapped her arms around her torso, brown locks tussling as she moved away from the boiling pot to stand beside Niklaus' chair.

"Darling, Niklaus, isn't it a wonderful morning." Kol chimed happily, his lecherous gaze causing Nik to tightly clench his fists.

Kol had a shit-eating grin on his face, clearly enjoying the view of seeing Astrid in such a revealing garment.

'It's nothing he's never seen before' A deep voice at the back of Niklaus' mind growled, resentment festering deep inside him as he looked between his pretentious little brother and his beautiful wife.

It seemed both Kol and Astrid were unaware of Niklaus' shaking hands that were fortunately concealed beneath the table, his jaw tightly clenching as he watched Astrid pull her gown closer to her body.