23. Awaken

~One month later~

~One month later~

Valentina still hadn't shown signs of consciousness. Hunter was worse as before but he had never given up hope. He stayed by her side, talking and holding her hand everyday until visiting hours were over. He would go to the hospital straight after school or work and do his homework there. 

Hunter was in the middle of working out a frustrating Calculus problem when he felt a small movement in the hand he was holding. His breath hitched, immediately dropping his pencil and sitting on the edge of the bed. His eyes didn't leave her face, as he waited for another movement, certain he had dreamed of it. 

A squeeze. 

Hunter let out a combination of a laugh and sob. "Valentina? Can you hear me, Tater Tot?" Her eyebrows furrowed and her eyelids fluttered. A huge smile overtook his face as ever so slowly, her eyes opened. 

Valentina slowly blinked her eyes open to be greeted with a burst of bright light. She groaned and immediately shut her eyes again. Who the hell thought a patient would be glad to wake up to bloody fluorescent lights?

Slowly, her eyes focused and she saw the familiar boy with a messy bed of hair who seemed like he hadn't showered in days. She gave him a small smile and he a sob worked its way out of his mouth as he buried his nose into her neck. 

"God, do you know how worried everyone was? Why are you so damn impatient? You could've waited. I-if you had then you wouldn't be stuck in a coma for a whole damn month!" Hunter blabbered and the sight of him so flustered made her grin. "This isn't funny!"

"I know." She croaked out as he helped her sit up, a glass of water in his hands. As the coolness washed down her throat, she let out a sigh, leaning into Hunter's chest. His familiar scent washing over her. "I'm sorry."

He sighed and wrapped his arms around her. "It's okay. The most important thing is that you're safe." 

She couldn't help but smile. Damn, how did she even find him?

A nurse came in just then and gasped as she saw them in each others' arms. She hurriedly called in the doctor who arrived a few minutes later with a pearly white smile. 

"How are you doing Valentina?" He asked as he held a clip board in his hand, pen ready to jot down notes. 

"I'm good. Was I really out for a whole month?" 

He nodded. "You had internal bleeding in your brain. Any later and you wouldn't have made it. Now, do you remember what happened?"

"I was too impatient to wait until my vision cleared and crossed the street. A car hit me." The doctor nodded and scribbled something on the paper. 

"Alright, no sign of memory loss. Any pain anywhere? You are under some heavy anesthetics so you shouldn't be feeling any pain." 

Valentina shook her head and the doctor left with a smile, leaving the nurse to check her vitals. "So..what did I miss?" 

"Nothing much. But I missed you." He placed a kiss on her cheek, making her flush as the nurse gave her a quick wiggle of the eyebrows.

"He wouldn't even leave after visiting hours were over. The two older ones had to drag him away and got punched in the process too. You're lucky to have a boy like him," The nurse said as she fixed something on the heart rate machine. 

Valentina looked up at Hunter who was already watching her with bright eyes full of joy. "I know."

"And boy, don't you ever let her go you hear me? Watch over her good, I don't want to lose my voice having to yell at you to leave this place again." 

Hunter chuckled, "Yes Ma'am and I'll never let her go. Never in a million years." He gave her a charming smile and she scoffed. 

"I'll leave you two love birds alone to catch up. I don't need to see anything I don't want to see." With that she shut the door with a click. 

Valentina laughed. "What did she think we were going to do?" 

Hunter's expression turned to one of mischief as he looked down and wiggled his eyebrows. "I can think of a few things." 

"No extraneous activities!" The sound of the nurse from the other side of the door boomed through the room and then the soft patter of her footsteps disappeared down the hall. 

Valentina and Hunter shared a look and burst into laughter, their faces tinged with pink.