Chapter 37: German

CASPIAN'S POV
  "Why does it sound so familiar? That word," Charlotte says, watching me and Ella. "Gericht."

  "I assume that our Father mentioned it to yours before," I say, shrugging.

  "Court," Henry says. "Gericht means Court."

  "'The court of liars, young and old. Snakes to lie, a crow to control, a raven for fires, and chameleons to be liars,'" I laugh. "Ring any bells?"

  "You've been betraying us," Jem says slowly, and I see horror in his eyes.

  I never wanted any of this. I can feel the white hot pain coming from Ella. Pain at having to do this.

  "Schlange," Tessa says slowly. "This whole time. You've been lying to us. How could you?"

  Ella scowls. Acting. "How could I what? How could I betray all of you?" She then grins at Jem. "Sins of the Fathers."

Jem's eyes widen in realisation. "He's alive."

"Very," I say. "We are loyal to family above all else."

"No," Charlotte whispers. "No I understand, now. He's blackmailing you."

I laugh. "Why would you think that?"

"Because I remember. My Father called yours a liar. A manipulator. He said that your Father was evil. That he didn't care for blood. He would have raised you two up the same."

"You don't know anything," Ella says harshly, covering her ring.

Suddenly Tessa lunges at her, ripping the chain off her neck.

"No!" I shout, reaching for Tessa as I hear Ella suck in a gasp of pain.

I grab Tessa by the back of her dress, yanking her back.

"Tessa!" Jem shouts, running towards us.

Tessa spins around and punches me. I'm weak. The bond. Our life source.

Ella screams suddenly. It's loud and pained and it's full of anger.

I turn to her, holding her to me. I can't feel her emotions.

"Caspian," She growls out. "I need the ring."

I let go of Ella slowly, eyes scanning around the room. Shocked and angry faces.

I finally turn to Tessa, whose eyes are wide, the ring dangling from the chain in her hand. Jem stands beside her protectively.

"Give me the ring. Give it to me now," I order. "You won't like what happens if you don't."

"No," Tessa says, her voice slightly shaky. "Not until you explain yourselves."

I lunge. And then there's a searing pain at my side. I gasp, stopping short, looking down at the knife plunged into me in shock. I look up and see Will, on his feet, fury in his eyes.

"Caspian!" Ella screams. She's too weak. My hands clutch at the knife in my side, and I pull it out. Blood covers the blade. My blood.

I blink. Then I say, "the ring. Give it to me. Give it to me."

Will snatches the ring from Tessa's hands. "No."

"Ich werde es selbst tun," Ella says, her voice full of anger. I'll do it myself.

She pushes off the wall, throwing herself at Will, who is too stunned to react. She grabs the ring, and rolls to a crouching position.

She quickly slips on the ring, and the colour returns to her face.