25

Aldru smiled in thanks, then ran off. But through the commotion, she remembered Viggo in the cell. Knowing everyone else was too caught up with the fight, she raced over to him and got on her hands and knees. Peering through the cage door below her, Viggo was waiting. She fiddled with the latch, her hands shaking nervously.

A large ball of blue flames crashed down right beside her, the force knocking her away from the cage. "Aldru!" Viggo shouted as he tried desperately to see out.

"I'm alright," she coughed, and crawled back over. Finally she was able to undo the latch. Viggo climbed out, but as he did a long thin sword rested in front of his neck.

It was Queen Mala, and she did not look happy. "Where do you think you're going?" She demanded.

"Your majesty," Aldru interrupted, "I'm removing him from your island and taking him to Dragon's Edge."

Mala gave her a baffled look and wondered, "why?"

Aldru looked from Viggo to Mala; she, herself, didn't really know why. "You just have to trust me," she insisted, "I'd never do something to hurt you or your island; I know what it's like to have people to protect."

After a long hesitation, Mala lowered her sword and accepted, "then I will trust the judgement of you, Protector Aldru."

The title the queen used was shocking, but Aldru smiled. "Thank you."

Aldru then took Viggo by the arm and began to run. The man, who was much larger than her, had a hard time keeping up. "Could you possibly slow down?" He asked in annoyance.

All she did was roll her eyes and change form. Still holding onto Viggo's arm, she began to fly up. Aldru felt his hand tighten around her scaled elbow and his other hand find her other arm. "Ah!" He exclaimed before glaring up at the dragon girl, "a warning, next time, would be much appreciated."

Aldru could help but find it amusing. Although her island was in great danger, her father was her love's worst enemy, and the war now seemed unbeatable, Aldru found the one thing to be positive about. The one small detail that she'd only just thought of: Viggo was helping her and the riders.

• • •

After a quick flight, Aldru landed Viggo on the platform of the club house. When her own feet hit the ground, she was human again. Fishlegs was just rushing through with the baby eruptadon when he noticed Viggo was there. "What--" he started, "Aldru, why'd you bring him here?"

"He was going to end up here eventually," Aldru stated matter-of-factly.

But Fishlegs continued to sneer at Viggo, "could you at least keep him locked up."

"Of course, I take no offence to that," Viggo responded politely, "take every precaution necessary." That being said, Fishlegs left and Aldru lead Viggo to the stables. There, she locked him in one of the rooms.

Viggo, who'd been silent until now, finally spoke, "you didn't have to get me out of there."

Aldru crossed her arms and disagreed simply, "yes I did."

"After everything I've put you through..why?" Viggo asked, his voice filled with an emotion that she'd never heard in it before; guilt.

She hesitated, still not sure how to feel about this, then spoke, "because whether I like it or not, you're my father." She turned her back to him and leaned against the door to his stable-cell.

"Aldru," Viggo began, placing a gentle hand on her arm, "..thank you."

A deep breath filled her lungs and escaped her mouth. Aldru had never had a parents before, and had long ago accepted that she never would. But now, she didn't know what to do or say, how to act or feel. Especially with a father like Viggo. It was obvious to her that he cared about her, but he was also a great enemy to dragons.

Thankfully, before she had to say something back, Hiccup flew into the stables on Toothless followed closely by the others. "Aldru," he greeted as he hopped off of his night fury, "I'm glad you made it back safely."

"It won't be safe long," Viggo piped in, back to his usual guarded self, "Ryker is sure to come here next."

"Geez, what a downer," Tuffnut scoffed. Just then, Chicken ran over to him and jumped into his arms. The Viking smiled sweetly at his pet and stroked her feathers.

"You're just trying to keep us here while other islands are destroyed," Hiccup spoke inquisitively to Viggo.

"Actually, I think he's right," Aldru input carefully, "when Ryker caught Viggo and I talking, Viggo told him that I'd come to make a deal to protect this place."

"Right now, Ryker is going to do everything to get back at me," Viggo explained further.

Hiccup sighed, "oh gods." He made eye contact with Viggo, a hard look on his face, "you'd better hope you're right." He then turned to the other riders, "everyone, get your dragons ready."

At once, the Vikings scattered. All but Hiccup and Aldru, who remained in the stables for a moment longer. "Can you keep an eye on him?" Hiccup asked Aldru. She gave a short nod and stared outside nervously. "Hey," he continued with a sweet smile. He turned her face toward his and assured her with a loving tone, "everything's gonna be alright."

Then he was gone.

"What was that?" Viggo questioned with an eyebrow raised, having witnessed the exchange between his daughter and Hiccup.

Aldru felt embarrassment flutter in her chest. She decided to play dumb and asked, "what do you mean?"

Viggo wanted to press further, but didn't feel that he was in any position to ask. It wasn't long before the attacks started. And when Aldru saw that it wasn't going in their favor, she let Viggo out and the two went to find help from the submaripper. As the two large water dragons fought Aldru flew up to the top of the volcano to check on the lava.

"Fishlegs," she yelled to her friend, who was a good distance away, "where's the baby?"

Fishlegs pointed to a spot on the ground near him where the hatchling ate lava. With his other hand, he gave her a thumbs up. Hiccup then arrived with Astrid.

"Viggo, I have to admit," Hiccup began, "that was pretty smart to bring the submaripper out here."