Chapter Two | A Wife's Broken Heart

Fan Hai was a quiet child while growing up. Ever since his birth, his pretty blue eyes would wander around and take everything in with childish fascination. His deep blue eyes created a great contrast with his alabaster skin, and the sight of his small body wrapped in a white bundle held by his beautiful mother sitting in the courtyard became a common sight for the people of the Prime Minister Estate as time trickled away.

The servants would steal a peek once in a while as they worked and leave with a satisfied expression as if they had seen a beautiful painting.

Fan Hai's mother, Fan Yue was considered to be one of the most beautiful women in the Empire and the Prime Minister himself was a sight to look at - all of their looks were combined and could clearly be seen on Fan Hai's face. He would be one of the most handsome men in the Capital after growing up, for sure.

Fan Yue was sitting comfortably in her courtyard as always, with her son tucked in her arms. Her tinted lips were stretched into a small smile as she looked down at her son with soulful tenderness. Whenever her eyes would connect with her son's blue ones, her smile would widen.

When Fan Hai had been born and it had been found that her son possessed blue eyes, the midwives had proclaimed her son to be a demon in human flesh. Her tired chest had flared up in fury at the scared women. Even if her child was a demon, she wouldn't care.

Fortunately, the people around her had calmed down after listening to the Great Diviner's divination. She had actually planned to flee the Capital if the people would have continued to scorn her son. These days, people adored him. His unusual eyes were a mystery to them but all the fear had melted away and all that was left was fascination. A deep blue colour like Fan Hai's was rare to be seen anywhere, it was a first for them to see it as someone's eye colour.

Fan Yue touched her son's soft cheek with her slender finger again. She giggled when her son opened his mouth and bit her finger with his toothless gums and stretched his small hands to wrap them around her comparatively big finger. Fan Yue adored her son - his every smile fascinated her, his puffed up cheeks were for her to pinch, his giggles led her to smile, and his babbles were always answered by words from her. She always held her son to her bosom. Because of her attachment, Fan Hai grew to adore her mother as well. He respected his father, but the love he had for his mother couldn't be replaced.

The quiet courtyard soon had a little boy running around as his white robe fluttered around him. His delighted laughter would echo through the walls and people all around the estate would smile upon hearing it. Now, Fan Hai was five years old and he was famous for being a mischievous but a kind-hearted boy. His most delightful hours of the day included playing with his mother and the servants at all hours.

Fan Hai was unusually perceptive of his surroundings. He knew what he shouldn't do, knew to practically worship his father, and knew he had to be obedient. But being obedient was a foreign concept to him - what did it mean, exactly? He couldn't keep himself from playing and couldn't keep himself away from stealing the buns from the kitchen despite everyone's warning.

***

Currently, he was staring at his room's ceiling with a frown tugging at the corner of his lips. His mind reasoned out why his mother wasn't there to wake him up yet like always? Every morning, she woke him up and always pressed a soft kiss on his cheeks. He hadn't seen her since yesterday evening; where was she?

His lips pressed into a thin line as he listened to the chirruping of the birds that slipped through the gap of the windows. Sighing, he slowly stood up on his bed and looked at the door, expecting his mother to show up. She didn't.