Part Six. Chapter Sixteen. Alex

I woke up warm and listening to the heartbeat of another.  My lips curved contentedly and had I an inner beast, I think I would have purred.  I nuzzled against the silken flesh drawn across the firm chest which had become my pillow in the middle of the night.  A chuckle poured from the owner of said chest. 

"You need a shave," he murmured softly, his arm wrapping around my shoulders.

I pouted and replied; "It's not my fault, I haven't touched a razor in almost a week!"  My female hormones had lessened my facial hair slightly, but what remained still needed to be removed every few days.  Last night, after the sheer relief of being in my husband's arms faded, so did any possible chance of remaining awake.  I had literally fallen asleep in Eric's embrace, only waking when my stomach gurgled so loudly that it was enough to wake the dearly departed.  It had caused King John to laugh hysterically, only taking breath to order food before he began laughing again.

I found that we had gathered in the King's office and that I had been asleep while Eric had carried me tirelessly there and then the entire time that he had explained the present situation to the King.  Adriel had been pouting in the corner, apparently his mate, Justin, had given him the slip at some point.  While I had literally shovelled food into my mouth, barely chewing before I swallowed to get some much needed sustenance into my stomach, Eric had reassured Adriel that Justin would return to him.  His soothing, steady tone had begun to lull me into a daze and as my stomach had felt pleasantly full, my eyes had found no reason to remain open.  Eric must have then carried me back home.

"I also need a shower," I said aloud, thinking that I hadn't had access to much but cold water for the past few days either.  "I must stink to high heaven."

"Yeah a bit," Eric agreed and I slapped his chest.  He just laughed.  "Well I wasn't going to say anything..." I lifted up my body and stuck out my tongue before making my way to his bathroom, closing the door behind me.  Ah, sweet privacy.  The water falling from the shower head barely heated up before Eric joined me in the bathroom. 

"What are you doing?" I asked as I kicked my boxers to one side.

"Not letting you leave my sight, remember?"  He smiled and I automatically returned the gesture.  After removing his pants, he slipped in the shower with me, grabbing a herbal scented shampoo and working it into a lather before running his fingers through my hair.  I sighed, enjoying the feelings as he massaged and worked the soap upon my scalp.  He then paid attention to my body and I returned the favour, washing his back and chest with a shower gel that smelled like Michael.  I found myself longing for his presence.  We both were, which was likely why that our touches remained chaste and did not evolve into something more sensual.

Despite the long and comfortable sleep I had already indulged in, I could already feel a heaviness to my eyes.  I tried to keep it at bay with a glass of cold water as Eric placed a yummy breakfast of poached eggs and toasted muffins in front of me.  His phone began to ring and he placed it on speaker as he squeezed the life out of a couple of oranges, collecting their juices in a small glass.

"Hello?" he greeted.

"Lend me your car!" A demanding female voice came through the speaker and a mischievous grin spread across his face.

"I'm sorry, who is this?" He purred, pushing the glass of juice towards me.  I snickered softly as I took the juice.

"Eric!" She growled.  "Stop playing dumb and lend me your car. Mine has a flat."

"Oh? Can't one of your men pick you up?"  Eric teased.

"They are all busy, surrounding the pack, remember," she said, causing my brows to rise.  I wondered what was going on.  "Besides, I can't let them know that I cannot change a tire!  That reveals a sign of weakness."  Eric sighed and tapped his fingers upon the counter.