forty four.

"You wear a mask for so long,
you forget who you were beneath it."
— Alan Moore

Taehyung POV

The parallel was strange. The tears that started to collect in my eyes would soon fall like the drops of blood trailing down his own face.

No words were coming to mind as I stood there with my hand still on the store, staring at the bleeding boy leaning against be opposite wall with his hand clutching his stomach. The small smile on his face was almost creepy and I winced when the split in his lip opened a bit more as he grinned. "Hey you." Jungkook managed to whisper, the hiss of pain didn't go unnoticed and suddenly I found my senses.

"What the hell did you do?" I said, stepping forward to grab his arm and help him into my apartment.

Jungkook just chuckled dryly, "I didn't do this to myself." If he wasn't hurt I would have hit his arm or smacked his head for being a smartass right now.

Instead I helped him into my bathroom and pushed him down onto the toilet lid, "Sit."

The boy just nodded and leaned back closing his eyes, he looked exhausted. For a moment I was frozen again, just looking at the way his lashes fluttered closed and rested above his once pretty cheeks now littered in dry blood and forming bruises, his parted lips I wanted to kiss better.

I shook my head. None of that right now.

Under the sink I kept a first aid kit, it was practically new except for the new box of bandages I had gotten. There were normal bandaids and then ones with the Marvel characters on them. I knew he'd like those.

"Kook," I whispered tapping his knee, "Can you sit up please?" I asked. My knees hurt on the cold tile floor but I ignored it and took the alcohol wipes and started cleaning off the cuts. Jungkook didn't complain, but he especially flinched when I touched the cut across his cheekbone. Someone definitely got him good.

"Stop that." I said. The lights weren't on in the bathroom and I was using the moonlight from the window to guide me. Part of my was grateful because I couldn't stand the feeling of Jungkook's eyes just staring at me as I cleaned up his face and knuckles. "You're staring."

Jungkook didn't say anything, but he did glance down and chew lightly on his lip.

His knuckles weren't as bad as his face, which is a shame since that means he probably didn't get enough hits in. "I'll go get some ice to put on your face, take your shirt off so I can see how bad your torso is."

I didn't realize what I said until Jungkook rose an eyebrow, my cheeks heating up and tinting pink as I rushed out of the bathroom and to the kitchen for the ice pack. There was only one in the freezer, and I was too lazy to make one with a ziplock and ice so I just grabbed a bag of frozen vegetables which could work for his chest. I noticed he was still holding onto it when I was cleaning his face.

When I walked back into the bathroom, Jungkook was standing and the fabric of his black t-shirt was on the floor. He was leaning forward to look in the mirror and the ripple of his back muscles was enticing. It was hard not to let my eyes wander down from his shoulders to that tiny waist adorned with tight jeans.

Jungkook hasn't spoken much this whole time, that's why his voice surprised me when he spoke so suddenly. "I can't tell if these are bags under my eyes or bruises." he laughed lightly.

I realized I've never seen Jungkook without his shirt on before. And I can't believe I've waited this long before I did. When the ravenette turned around to face me I was met with tan skin and abs that I wish I seen sooner. Of course I've felt them before, my fingertips tracing the indentions of muscle.

"Uh, you should go lay down so you can hold these on your bruisers." I said, awkwardly pointing towards my bed.

The corners of Jungkook's lips turned up into a small smile and I think my cheeks were permanently pink from now on. He walked past me and over to my bed, the tips of his fingers lingered at the belt around his hips, "Um.." he started, unsure, "Do you mind?"

"Nope." I might have said it too quick, but I mean I certainly didn't mind if he was going to take his pants off. It was a little hot in here anyways.

When Jungkook was comfortable and laying on the sheets I walked over and handed him the ice pack for his face, "Keep this one your eye for ten minutes, then wait fifteen before putting it on again." I ordered. The younger boy just nodded and took the pack from me, placing it on his face and wincing a bit at the contact.

I grabbed another pillow to place next to his side so the frozen vegetable bag had something to lean on and keep it up on the bruise. It wasn't an awful bruise, but it was still visibly swollen on the right side of his ribs like someone got a good kick in.

After making sure he was situated, I was about to get up and move off the bed when his hand shot to grab my wrist. "Where are you going?" Jungkook asked, his eyes were panicked and it was the same look I saw when I closed the door on his sobbing form and walked away from him. It was a look of fear and I'd do anything to never see him in that state again.

"I just need to get you some pain reliever." I said. That was true, but I also wanted to go cry in the kitchen because my head felt like it was going to explode with all these emotions.

It was a moment before he nodded slowly, eventually letting go of my wrist and sitting back against the pillows.

I took my chance to leave and walk into the kitchen to grab a glass of water for him and the pain reliever from the cabinet. This was too much, I wasn't prepared for him to just show up, let alone show up and look like that. The lump in my throat was huge and my eyes got hot with tears.

I wiped them away quickly and took a deep breath before going back into the room. Jungkook sat up the moment I peeked around the door and he seemed to visibly relax. "Here." I handed him the water and pill.

"Thank you." he mumbled quietly, swallowing the pill and emptying the glass in seconds.

I sat on the edge of the bed and just looked at him. He was exhausted and visibly drained of everything; energy, hope, life. It made my heart hurt seeing him like this, and knowing I could have been helping him. But I was too afraid to confront my feelings.

"What's wrong?" Jungkook asked. I looked up at him and tried to smile and reassure there was nothing wrong.

But the shake of my lips and pinch behind my eyes betrayed me.

He dropped the ice pack instantly and I felt his hand move to my neck, it was a gentle tug as he pulled me closer and into his chest. I wasn't even sure what made me break down, it could have been a multitude of things.

But all I know is that I cried for a while, and Jungkook brushed his fingers through my hair and held me tightly against him and hummed softly, the entire time.

hi guys sorry it's been a while
it's been like five days but that's a lot
i love happy taekook and i'm so
ready to write about them!!
that means more updates 👀