Chapter 24 - Pastry Box

BRIAN

When Jaden called to say that Julio is interested in leasing a space, I felt some of the weight on my shoulders lift off. Julio is an institution around here, a very respected man, and in some instances a father figure. Since the brainstorm, I've been working on the lease calculations, trying to find a balance of not overcharging anyone who wants to help and figuring out how much profit I need to make to continue operating. I used Charlie and Jess as a test case. They found the price per square meter more than reasonable and signed up without delay. 

Voices call my attention and I head downstairs. I find my mom and Julio having a cozy chat on the porch. She gazes at the fairgrounds, but is obviously flustered at whatever he's saying.

"Julio, what brings you around?" I ask and my mom gives me a sheepish smile while Julio takes a step back.

"Wanted to bring this personally to you," he hands me an envelope. "Couldn't pass the opportunity and the price is fair. Charlie Monroe has excellent ideas so to see. You are lucky to have friends like him and Jaden."

"Don't I know it. They keep me grounded and sane at all times."

"Well, I'm heading back. I've signed up and now I need to figure out how to make it work," he chuckles and my mom giggles. "Fiona, lovely to see you as always and until the next time."

Julio returns to his car and I watch as my mom returns to her usual composure, gives me a warning look just when I'm about to open my mouth and then excuses herself to go to the grounds. Julio and her have been flirting for the last year, and if she thinks I haven't noticed then she's only fooling herself.

When I get back to my desk, I find an email in my inbox from a designer that Ximena knows. There's a file attached, my newspaper ad, and I open it quickly. We will begin to advertise the new entrance price for the weekends. I still don't feel comfortable making such a drastic change, but continuing the Connors legacy is what matters. 

"Hello? Anyone here?" A voice asks from downstairs and it sounds like Lewis.

My suspicion is correct when I find him at the bottom of the stairs, a pastry box between his hands. 

"I just saw your mom. She said I could find you here."

"And you have. What can I help you with?"

"I realized I didn't say anything of value during the brainstorm, but wanted you to know that I've been giving it some thought."

"Oh, and does it involve what you have in that box? Whenever I see you holding one of those there's always something delicious involved."

Lewis gives me a shy smile as usual. "Yeah, it involves what I have in here."

"That calls for some coffee then," I motion for him to follow me to the kitchen and feel more than happy to find a fresh pot of coffee that Mom probably set right before Julio arrived. 

After serving us two cups, I sit in front of Lewis and he opens the pastry box. Inside are beautiful sweets shaped like small presents.

"What is this?" I lift what I now see from the bottom is a piece of cake covered in light blue paste with a white bow.

"Petit fours. This is what belongs to the glacé type, a tiny cake covered in fondant. Take a bite."

"This is heaven," is all I can say while I thumb the crumbs from the corner of my mouth. "How is this related to the fairgrounds?" I ask before eating the rest.

"I don't know exactly. I've been toying with the idea for over a year now. I love making candy, but baking is my passion, and want to make more things than what I offer at the market. Do you have a food stand available where I can display this?"