1. Invisibility

Sam

I didn't understand why they'd let her go to a normal school. She definitely didn't belong here. They'd eat her alive. At least, I had the power to remain invisible. For the new girl, that was impossible.

Yesterday, in the third week of freshman year, she walked into the classroom, head held high despite the way her legs moved, and took a place at the front. Everyone stared at her. Some giggled.

Matt Granton, the biggest bully in school, had a sort of evil grin on his face. "Hey, you spaz! I think you spazzed your way into the wrong building! This school is not for retards!"

I expected that to be the beginning of a hellish four years of high school torture for that girl. Instead, she turned around, smiled brightly at Matt, and said, in a kind of weird voice, as if she was on the verge of crying: "Glad to know this isn't a school for retards... I'm here to learn something, after all."

Matt was so baffled by her response he just stared at her. In fact, the whole class stared at her, and it wouldn't be the last time.

"I'm really surprised you know I'm spastic, though," she continued, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "Proves you're not a retard either." Even though she had trouble talking, the words didn't come out slow. I'd always assumed all handicapped people spoke with the speed of a turtle.

Her smile changed into a grin while she opened up her bag with abnormally tense fingers to get out her notebook. I had no idea what would've happened if our homeroom teacher hadn't walked in right then and there, but I didn't think it would've ended well. Still, I couldn't help but be in awe of this new, freakish girl — I'd never stood up against Matt Granton, and I wasn't even handicapped, like her.

I guess I was staring at her, because when Mrs. Pope started her boring introductory talk, she turned to look at me. She winked, then focused on Mrs. Pope again.

I went red and quickly checked if anyone had seen that — no way I wanted them to think the spaz had a crush on me. I was lucky this time. Even Matt Granton feared Mrs. Pope. I just had to make sure this girl wouldn't want to try to be friends with me.

Usually, I had lunch by myself in a quiet corner of a far-off hallway.Before I started middle school, mom and dad had made it clear that I couldn't tell anyone who my family was, and I was especially forbidden to have any classmates over, except if they lived at "the right side of town". That kind of made sure I didn't make any friends. By the time they left again, groups were already formed, and it was too late to really join one. I'd thought high school would've been a way to get to know some people, but I'd had no luck so far. I was used to being by myself anyway.

Today, my curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to have lunch in the cafeteria. It wasn't hard to find the new girl: Matt Granton and his two minions had closed in on her, and lots of people were watching. I hurried to get near.

"It's my mom's enchiladas. If your mom doesn't make you lunch, Matt, I'm sure mine would love to pack something extra for you. Every child should be able to have a healthy meal, she always says." Her strange voice drew a lot of attention from others. Some snickered, and I was pretty sure it was at the expense of Matt Granton.

Again, I figured she'd just signed her death sentence. Matt Granton had seized her by the arm — she didn't flinch — and grabbed the aluminum foil package from her hands. "You only tell your stupid mother one thing..." he hissed, "and that is to go back to where she came from!"

This was the point where she had to shut up. It was over. She had to realize.

But: "That'd be New York City."

A big push and she crashed into the wall. It looked like it hurt pretty bad.

I spun around and hurried out of the cafeteria before Granton could notice me.

"...and then they pushed her, and he left!"

I was having dinner with my older brother, Nathan. Nathan was the most awesome person I knew. He was studying to be a lawyer, though instead of living on the Stanford campus and getting to party every night, he'd decided to stay at home with me, so I wouldn't be alone.

"She sounds like a very cool girl," he said, as I finished telling him about June.

I couldn't believe he'd say that. Hadn't he listened to me? "She's not cool."

"Why not?"

"She's disabled."

"So Stephen Hawking can never be cool either? And what about Stevie Wonder?"

"Who's Stevie Wonder?"

Nathan chuckled, shaking his head. "Maybe I should watch Breaking Bad with you. There's a character in that show, I think he might be a lot like that girl of yours."

Why did I ever tell him about her? I could've known he would react like this... My girl... I'd be dead before I could grow another inch! "She's not my girl! And I'm only fourteen, I'm not allowed to watch Breaking Bad."

Nathan started to laugh. "I think growing up in a family of lawyers might've ruined you completely."

"Your fault! You shouldn't have become one."

That was kind of unfair to say, probably, only it was out before I could think about it. The smile slipped from his face, and he looked at the contents of his plate like the Red Curry had gravely disappointed him. "I'm not a lawyer yet, Sam." I wanted to say I knew that, but he threw his fork down, sighing. "I really think we need to find a different take-out place for Tuesdays. I'm getting tired of this one."

"We could hire a cook."

"No."

"Why not? Are we secretly poor all of a sudden?"

"No, we're not."

"I really don't think...—"

"—Last one to the pool is allowed to push the other one in!" And Nathan raced off, already near the doors to the patio when I realized what he'd done — again!

"No — wait! That's not fair... Nathan!"

Only a minute later, I was soaking wet in the pool, still fully clothed, and my brother was laughing down at me, completely dry. "Next time, I'm gonna win!" I said, as I'd said many times before.

"I think you should get to know that June-girl, Sam. She might have some tips for you on how to defeat me."

I hit the water with my fist as he walked back inside the house. What an ass!