Chapter 3

One day, I sat down, with nothing in my hands. He raised an eyebrow, obviously curious. "No new homework today?"

I smiled. "Nope, today is something different. I have just one question: Who are your friends?" I paused. "Besides me, I mean."

His eyebrows furrowed. "Are we friends?"

"I can still announce to the world that you can't drink coffee."

"I mean, we're great friends!"

I laughed. "Better. Now answer the question."

"Easy." He shrugged his shoulders, "I don't have any."

"Why not."

"Men are intimidated by me."

I stared at him in shock. "I can't believe you can say that with a straight face. Groaning quietly, I rubbed my forehead. "I know I'm going to regret asking this, but... what about women?"

He made a face. "That's even worse, women are all the same. They're always throwing themselves at me."

"..."

After a long awkward pause, Jack finally noticed something was wrong. "Umm... Megan? Are you okay?"

I stood up, quietly muttering to myself. "Don't punch him. Don't punch him."

"Megan?"

"Stay here." I shot him a death glare, and he nodded up and down quickly, frozen in place.

I went around the café, talking quietly to a few people. Having found a few of my favorite regular customers, I brought them over with me to his table. Uncertain, Jack stared up at us with confusion.

"What's..."

"Jack, this is Clyde." I pointed at the first man, who looked to be in his seventies. "He is retired from the army. He likes dramas and is an avid sci-fi fan."

"Umm..." He tried to interject, but I ignored him.

"This is Jessica." I moved on to a young girl with bright blue hair who I guessed was in her early twenties. "She loves rock music and period romances."

"Megan..."

"And finally this is Francis." The middle-aged woman smiled and nodded as I called her name. "She used to box professionally and now raises three kids at home. She could defeat you on any video game console in any game. Trust me."

"What is..."

"Everyone, meet Jack." I gestured to the frozen, confused man still sitting down. "He's a socially inept, narcissistic jerk who think all men are intimidated by him and all women want to jump him."

Jack turned pale. "MEGAN!"

I continued. "But at heart he's not a bad guy, recently discovered a passion for dramatic stories in books and movies, and desperately needs friends." I turned back to them with a pleading expression. "Would you guys mind sitting down and spending some time with him?"

Francis laughed. "Sure thing, sweetie, anything for you." She sat down next to Jack with an interested expression.

"Hmmph, don't have anything better to do, I guess." Jessica glared at me for a moment but sat down as well with a sigh.

Now it was only Clyde. He had on a slightly lonely expression. "Are you sure I won't be a bother?"

At his question I smiled gently, patting him on the back. "It wouldn't be the same without you."

With that a broad grin spread across his face and he sat down cheerfully. I gave Jack a thumbs up, ignoring his panicked expression and left the group to get to know each other. My break was over anyways.