²⁷, SMOOTH MOVES

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍. . . Smooth Moves
❝ Things aren't going to get weird now, are they? ❞

  "SO, YOU BROUGHT food?"

  "I can't believe you're thinking about food at a time like this."

  "Don't act so surprised," Charlie grinned, "I'm hungry."

  "You're always hungry."

  "Exactly, so what'd you bring?"

  Jess groaned, dramatically flopping onto Charlie's twin bed. The girl kicked her feet for a moment before walking over to him. He peeked a single eye open, watching Charlie bump his knees with hers.

  "Charlie?"

  "Yeah?"

  "Whatcha' doing?"

  "Waiting for you to get up so we can eat."

  Jess rolled his eyes, leaning up and grabbing her hands. Charlie had no time to balance as the boy tugged her down, and suddenly they were a pile of laughter all over again.

  "Food's getting cold," Rory popped her head in, and in the second the sisters made eye contact it seemed the world had stopped spinning.

  Charlie was quick to her feet, eyes never leaving Rory's. Jess had no regret, though he did feel a bubble of worry for Charlie.

  "Uh, yeah, we're coming." 

  The three were awkwardly still for a moment, but Charlie rushed into the kitchen, confused but not upset to see Paris sitting down.

  "Hey, uh," Jess called Rory before she could fully leave, "Don't. . . give Charlie too much crap."

  Rory simply nodded, the teens joining their other halves in the kitchen.

  While Jess, Rory, and Paris had delved into a conversation about literature, Charlie's sole focus was on her burger.

  "Typical guy response. Worship Kerouac and Bukowski. God forbid you pick up anything by Jane Austen."

  "He's read Jan Austen," Charlie noted absent-mindedly. She looked up when the table fell silent, Paris and Rory were blatantly staring while Jess wore a smirk, "What?"

  "Nothing," Jess waved the girl off, stealing a fry much to her annoyance, "I think Jane Austen would've liked Bukowski."

  "What are you doing?"

  "Salt and peppered it, only way to eat a fry."

  "Really?"

  "It's fast-food gospel."