Episode One

"Come on, Lil

"Come on, Lil. You know DJ Sparks is amazing, and it's like the biggest party of the year." Jessica was dressed to impress when she barged into my dorm room, digging through her huge sidebag.

Shards of multi-colored glitter slipped off her skin and drifted to the floor. When she finally glanced up, her eyes narrowed. I was still cozied up with my purple plush hippo.

When I just stared back at her without answering, Jessica let out a huff. "You never want to do anything fun."

I paused Netflix and glared at my best friend. "Uh, yeah, there's a reason for that, Jess. Your version of fun always gets us in trouble, and like I've already told you a million times, I'm watching Stranger Things tonight."

"I know, but you've seen it twice already. You have to come with me. Here," Jessica threw a shiny silver dress at my head. "Get that on, and I'll do your hair and makeup. We only have an hour."

I clawed the scratchy dress off my face and tossed it on my bed. "No. You only have an hour. I have all night."

Jessica's determined expression crumbled as she clutched her hands in prayer pose. "Please? I need to let loose. You know how my dad is. It was horrible. He was on my case all week about declaring my major. I'm so glad I came back early. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Please come with me?"

I wanted to tell her she was lucky to have parents who cared about her, but instead, I nodded in sympathy. "Fine, but only two hours tops."

"Really?" Jessica's hazel eyes lit up as she hastily retrieved makeup from her bag. "Two hours. Now let's get you ready."

One hour later we headed toward the parking lot. I felt ridiculous in her skin tight mini skirt and knee-high boots.

"They should be here soon." Jessica tapped out a text on her phone.

"Who?" My breath caught in my throat.

She hadn't mentioned anyone else. Damn it! I should've known there was more to this.

Jessica's eyes flicked up to mine as the wind blew across her shiny dark hair. "Um... I didn't tell you, but—"

The rumble of an engine interrupted her. We glanced toward the parking lot entrance to see a red Dodge Charger heading our way.

I knew that car.

Bass pounded from the Charger, causing the concrete to vibrate under my feet.

I pinned Jessica with a glare. "What did you do?"

Jessica refused to make eye contact. Instead, she smiled at the approaching vehicle and waved. "Nico was at the Stop N Go when I got back in town. He finally invited us to party with them tonight. How could I say no? Nico's hella fine, Lil."

I gave her a death glare. "I can't believe you didn't tell me!"

"You wouldn't have come." Jessica always did this crap, and I knew she didn't mean to upset me, but she wasn't apologizing.