Episode Nine

Trying not to read into their strange conversation, I started toward the woodpile and found a humongous stack of wood at least three feet taller than me

Trying not to read into their strange conversation, I started toward the woodpile and found a humongous stack of wood at least three feet taller than me. How in the hell was I supposed to get any down?

"Need help?" Nico was suddenly towering over me. Nico was a good looking guy if you were Jessica, but he was a little too lanky for me.

I sucked in a breath. "Don't sneak up on me like that."

"Shit. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." Nico poked me in the side. "Not a good night to do something like that. My dumbass wasn't even thinking."

I smiled. "Help would be good."

Nico retrieved a ladder hidden next to the wood and sent me an adorable smile. "This helps."

With our arms full of wood, we headed toward the cabin.

Eli knelt next to Miss Gina, starting a small fire with sticks and kindling.

"Your grandpa is so proud of you, aren't you George?" Miss Gina said. "He says he loves you to pieces, Elijah."

"Not now, Gramma." Eli blew softly into the smoldering kindling.

Nico nudged me, showing me where to set the wood.

Miss Gina's shiny brown eyes met mine. "Ah, thank you, Lilly Flower. Now we'll be warm all night. My George says you're a cute little thing, and he likes your smile."

Confused about how to answer, I just grinned. "Oh, thank you."

Eli walked to my side. "Are you tired?"

"Would it be wrong if I said yes?" I asked.

"Not at all. It's been a long night. Come on." Eli winked and gestured for me to follow him.

Nico followed us, but Eli pushed Nico back, pointing at him. "Not you."

I glanced at Miss Gina who was watching our charade like we were her morning soaps. "Goodnight, dear."

"Goodnight." I didn't know if I would come out of my room after I went in. I needed some time to reassess my freak show of a night, so I probably wouldn't.

Following Eli down the hall, he stopped and flipped on a light. "Bathroom."

It wasn't bad. Small, quaint, and clean with all the plumbing I could ever want.

"Thank you." I stopped to admire a picture on the wall. It was an old sepia photo of a young couple.

"Gramma and Grampa," Eli said.

"They look happy." Their smiles told me they were much happier than any couple I'd ever had the pleasure of knowing.

"They were and still are." Eli smiled at me causing my stomach to release flutters. He was gorgeous when he smiled, and his dark eyes were so warm.