Episode Twelve

What do you do after you help kill six people? You act like everything is normal, that's what

After a long two hours of waiting for the last car, Nico called Ben, but he didn't answer. Eli texted Ben, instructing him to turn around, but Ben never responded. We had no idea if Ben's supposed car full of people would even show at all.

The sun was rising behind the trees as the birds chirped and sang to the brand new day. It would have been a beautiful day if we weren't preparing to kill more people at any minute.

"What're we going to do?" I asked, pacing in front of the cabin.

"We wait and hope they won't show. And if they show, we hope they're not on Hype." Eli let out a deep breath as he pulled some remaining bags from the Charger's trunk. 

"I'm tired." I folded my arms, leaning back against the cabin.

"I'm tired too," Eli walked up the steps to take the bags inside. "Nico, you tired?"

"I don't know what the hell I am, Dude." Nico leaned on the Charger, glaring down at the ground.

We were all trying our best to process the night's events, and at this moment Nico seemed to be taking it the hardest. I was too exhausted to reflect on much at this point.

"You and Lilly should get some sleep, and I'll stay up to wait for Ben's group. If they show, I'll wake you up." Nico spoke to the ground. "Don't worry. I'll kill them if they're on Hype."

"You sure?" Eli's brow knitted, pausing at the door of the cabin.

Nico's jaw worked. "Yeah, I need some thinking time anyway. I don't know what the hell to do with myself, and there's no way I can sleep. Maybe we'll get lucky and Ben won't show."

Eli nodded, carrying the bags inside as I slowly approached Nico. I was alive, and I needed to thank both of them for their help.

"Nico?" I whispered.

Nico didn't look up.

"Thank you." I kicked at the gravel.

Nico's head lifted, eyes wide. "What?"

I searched the ground, trying to find the right words. "I know it doesn't mean much, but thank you for protecting me and keeping me alive. I mean, you didn't have to, and I want you to know I'm grateful."

Nico scoffed as his forehead wrinkled. "Don't thank me. I'm the asshole that helped start this. I would've given you Hype last night if you wanted some."

"You never have to worry about that. Lilly never does drugs." Eli walked down the stairs.

My eyebrows lowered. "How do you know that?"

"Because I know." Eli was wearing his hoodie with his hat pulled low.

What the hell? Did I tell Eli my entire life story that night? How did he know so much about me?