Episode Thirteen

"Don't worry, Lilly Flower, my Elijah, and Nicolas will keep us safe

"Don't worry, Lilly Flower, my Elijah, and Nicolas will keep us safe." Miss Gina poured hot water into a mug, dipping a tea bag inside.

I didn't answer Miss Gina. Everything I had to say at this point was negative, and I didn't want to take out my aggravation on her.

Ben's group never arrived and forty-five minutes had passed since our phone call with Mark and Jessica.

"So we go back to Jeremy's abandoned car and wait. When Mark and Jessica get there with everyone, you need to try to talk them into leaving, but if they don't listen, I'll take them out from the trees." Nico examined the scope on his rifle.

"Fat chance." I was trying to imagine how their plan could work, and it just seemed like a chaotic mess.

"We need to try to get them to drive away." Eli glanced at me.

"What if they're so far gone they don't get back in their cars, and they end up running into the forest acting like lunatics?" I asked.

"Then we hunt them down and kill them. They can't be that hard to find. They're loud as hell and not thinking rationally." Nico's lips pressed into a hard line.

"Here, Gramma." Eli held a handgun and shotgun out to her. "This is only for emergencies."

Miss Gina grinned, nodded, and grabbed the guns without question, placing them on the counter.

"Aren't you scared?" I asked Miss Gina.

"Oh, yes, my child, but I've known this day was coming for many years now. I saw it in a dream when I was thirteen." Miss Gina wrapped her cool hands around mine. "You're a strong one, Lilly Flower. After this day, no one will ever hurt your precious heart again."

I stared into her comforting brown eyes. She and Eli had the same depth behind their gaze. Infinite.

Eli massaged my shoulders. "Lilly is staying for good, Gramma."

"Oh, Elijah." Miss Gina laughed, swatting his shoulder. "I already know. She's family. Just like Nicolas."

"Thank you, Miss Gina," Nico said from the couch as he inspected more weapons.

Eli continued to massage my shoulders. "Do you want to go with us, Lil?"

I wanted to say, 'Hell no. I'll be in our room. Come get me when you're done,' but instead, I said, "Yeah, I'll go."

Miss Gina's strong hands wrapped around my forearm as her eyes lit up. "I'm so proud of you, Lilly Flower. You just saved my boys."

I glanced between Eli's huge smile and hers, and yeah, I was lost.

"So if you come along, I might have a better plan. How do you feel about being the bait, Lilly?" Nico filled a bag with guns.

"No." Eli's tone was absolute.