Episode Fifteen

"What's up with their eyes? I mean, I know that drugs make pupils bigger, but it's getting way out of control, don't you think?" Jasmine held her legs as she watched the black-eyed partiers

"What's up with their eyes? I mean, I know that drugs make pupils bigger, but it's getting way out of control, don't you think?" Jasmine held her legs as she watched the black-eyed partiers. "And they've been high since like last night, right? Ecstasy gets people high for a while, but shouldn't they be coming down by now?"

I pulled Eli down to whisper in his ear. "Should we tell her?"

"Not yet. We don't want her freaking out." Eli whispered. "Nico's going to start soon."

We were about to be in the middle of a mass shooting, and Jasmine deserved to know about it. She was completely ignorant of the truth.

"Yeah, hopefully with the alcohol in their system they'll just pass out or something." I shrugged, hoping Jasmine wouldn't ask any more questions.

Todd sat on a blanket, staring at the ground with his head in his hands. The prick looked miserable.

Jasmine squinted in contemplation. "You know what's freaky? Their eyes look just like that maniac with the virus on the news."

"Really?" I widened my eyes and raised my eyebrows.

"Yeah, let me show you." Jasmine scrolled through her phone.

I stiffened as I waited. I hated playing stupid. She deserved to know the truth, but Eli was right. We had a plan, and we needed to stick to it.

A big muscular guy at the edge of the group of dancers stopped in mid-jump, falling face first to the ground.

Holy crap. Nico just shot him in the back of the head.

Everyone kept laughing and dancing. The guy was dead, and no one even noticed.

Eli stood, pulling me with him. "Let's go over here."

"Jasmine," I called just as a cute twerking redhead stopped vibrating her butt and tumbled to the ground.

Two down.

Eli kept an iron grip on my wrist as he walked toward the trees.

Jasmine looked up from her phone. "Hey, where are you guys going? I was trying to show you this video, but the signal here sucks. It's still loading."

"The signal should be better over here." My voice cracked when I tripped over a rock.

Without looking at the infected partiers, Jasmine stood and jogged over to us. "I'm pretty sure the trees will make it worse."

Eli stopped just inside the treeline, keeping one hand on me and the other on his gun.

I clenched my gun, ready to use it. Trying to hide my horror from Jasmine was difficult, but I still had to make an effort.

One of Mark's friends plummeted to the ground.

Three down.

No one saw the first two, but Mark noticed this one.