Chapter 46: Blood in the Mainland

Why did they attack me? It was the question that formed in my mind the moment I was struck by an arrow on my leg. The answer didn't come even if I had another arrow planted on my back. And lying on my bed in the middle of my room, it was still a question which answer I was trying to find. Why did they attack me?

I closed my eyes as the horrible event played inside my head. I could still feel the icy chill that ran through my skin whenever I realized that I almost died that day. It would have been my end if not for the strange man in a black cloak who managed to stop my assailants and saved me. No. He didn't just stop them. He killed them. I could almost smell their blood spilling on the ground – I could feel it in my hands. I couldn't help but think that they were dead because of me. And this feeling brought me back to the Forsaken Land; when I was attacked for a title I didn't have and was saved by the most dangerous man in the pirate world – the Skull.

Such thought made me push my hands against the bed in a futile attempt to move. But I winced as I was welcomed by the surge of pain from my wounds that made me fall back on the soft mattress. My mother and Dorothy immediately rushed on the side of my bed.

"You have to be careful with moving for now or your wounds will bleed again," my mother said sternly.

I couldn't see them clearly for I was lying on my stomach and moving my neck required a huge effort.

"How long has it been?" I asked.

"A day and a half, I thought I'm going to lose you again."

My mother's voice croaked as she controlled the tears that started to well in her eyes. I felt guilty for forgetting how she would be feeling in this situation. She must be worried when she saw me coming back from the woods in blood and dirt. And with that, another question rose in my head.

"I remembered passing out before the horses reached me. What happened?"

"I saw Tarnus leaving the castle with his men for an errand. I told him about the attack and he immediately galloped into the woods." It was Dorothy who answered. I could almost sense her discomfort and my mother's glare towards her.

"I'm really sorry, Primrose – Lady Primrose. I didn't know that the woods became dangerous," she added.

"The Eastern wood is always dangerous," Lady Adeline retorted. Her distaste for the girl was completely evident.

Dorothy remained silent at my mother's remarks. I sighed and carefully moved so I could sit down on my bed. They immediately helped me and after being seated comfortably, I faced the two of them.

"I'm going to be alright," I assured them. "It just hurt a little for now but it will heal soon."

My mother crossed her arms and looked at me skeptically. It was her way of telling me that she still didn't approve of my past decisions.

"I will not allow you to roam again outside the castle grounds. Not when you're alone. And if you must go, you will bring a more reliable companion with you."

Dorothy was fidgeting on where she stood. She knew that Lady Adeline's words were completely directed at her. I gave my mother a meaningful look and she just rolled her eyes at me. Nevertheless, she stopped blaming Dorothy for what happened.

"Is Lord Caleb Crimson too busy to see his daughter lying on her bed?" I asked, trying to divert our conversation.

Lady Adeline's expression turned into a worried one. She sat on my bed and rested her hand on mine reassuringly. Such act made me think that something was going on.