Chapter 54

Chapter Fifty Four

When I left the bedroom, three things were immediately obvious to me.

First, Woody's entire cabin smelled like cooking food and something sweet. Second, the television was on with a movie already queued up to start playing. And third, two women were having a rather intensely argumentative conversation that also sounded fairly uncertain.

"Are you sure that's the right way to make it?" Diana was in the middle of asking; I blinked, peering past Sebastian's broad torso to see her and Cassidy puttering around Woody's kitchen. "I think you did something wrong somewhere, it doesn't have the right texture."

"Babe, you know for a fact that I've been making this straight out of the book long before we even met each other," Cassidy sassily informed her, stirring something in a huge mixing bowl; she paused, then, turning to look at Sebastian. I noticed that she had flour and some kind of batter on her face. "Then again, perhaps the texture won't be the same. Who knows?"

"What's going on?" I asked, and the two of them stared at me. "You guys are cooking over here?"

"Yep!" Tiffany cheerfully told me, skipping forward and setting a hand on my shoulder; I turned to see a huge, sparkly-eyed grin on her pretty face. "We came over to surprise you with a movie night! They're just making some snacks for it... but come on, isn't it exciting?!"

Oh... so that was the surprise.

I smiled a little, nodding at her, but to be honest I was a bit confused how another movie night would change my life for the better... unless the movie itself was the surprise. I thought about it, wondering if perhaps they intended to surprise me with a retro movie from my childhood.

I'll act super emotional if I've already seen it, I decided, not wanting to disappoint anyone since they'd definitely gone out of their way; aloud I said, "yeah, actually. Watching a movie does sound like a good way to unwind."

"Great!" Tiffany chirped, glancing at Sebastian. "So, what are we having for snacks?"

"Don't act blonde," he stoically retorted. "You already know the answer to that."

"Mmmm, okay, fine," she laughed, then skipped into the living room and flopped down directly beside Woody, who was lazily slouching on the big couch with his feet on the coffee table. He jumped when she turned to grin at him and blinked at her curiously. "Hi!"

He cocked his head like a puppy trying to figure something out.

I watched as he gave her a tentative little wave, looking a little confused.

"So, you're Woody," she said, grinning when he slowly nodded. "Well, it's a pleasure to finally meet you! Like, actually meet you, I mean! Last time was super tense so it's nice to have a do over and not be in the middle of a drama fest! Anyway, thanks for letting us hang with Aerin!"

He seemed puzzled by her cheerfulness, but nodded politely and signed, 'It is no problem, Tiffany. It is a pleasure to officially meet the second newest member of Sebastian's pack.'

She stared at his hand, confused, then looked at him with furrowed brows. "Um... charades?"

He twitched, then slowly deflated, letting out a sigh before tiredly rubbing his face.

"He said," I proffered, making the blonde woman turn to stare, "that it's no problem, and that it's a pleasure to officially meet the second newest member of the pack."

"Ohhhhhhhh!" she gasped, eyes widening in shock; she cast an apologetic glance at him. "That's right, he can't talk! I totally forgot about that! I'm so, so sorry, Woody!"