c h a p t e r o n e

"Hello, Mrs

"Hello, Mrs. Black!" I said happily.

I put my backpack on a nearby chair and kissed Mrs. Black cheek.

Mrs. Black, an old cute woman that always manages to have a smile on her face.

She was like the mother I only had when I was three, and for that, I'm forever grateful.

I knew her before I even worked at the Santa Monica Aquarium, her being one of the closest of all of our family friends.

My mom died while she was on a cruise ship with my dad. There was a big storm and Mom sacrificed herself to save him.

My dad always tells me stories about her. He told me that she was a selfless and beautiful soul, caring for everyone, even those who didn't deserve her kindness. A brave and strong woman.

She had beautiful blonde hair and mystical green eyes.

I didn't get any of her features. I was a spitting image of Dad.

I only have one photograph with her in it.

Sometimes I wish I looked like her.

Maybe, when I would look in the mirror, I would feel connected to her, knowing that she will always be there for me.

I wish I knew her more. I don't have any memories of her.

It was always just the two of us. Dad and I.

I shook my head.

Santa Monica Aquarium is a big, yet still homey place that has all the tourists crazy about.

It was Mom's favorite place, and that is one of the reasons I work here.

To feel more connected with someone I only know from Dad's memories.

"Good morning, Sweetie. How are you doing?"

"I'm doing fine. What about you?"

" Great, honey," she responded warmly.

I smiled at her and walked to the assignment board.

My eyes scanned the white sheet until it landed on my name.

Aria Davidson.

Cleaning duty.

" See you later Mrs. Black!" I called out as I opened the door.

I heard a distant goodbye.

I was met with blue walls and glass tanks with plenty of colorful fish inside.

I sighed happily.

I walked up to one of the tanks and looked at all the fish that didn't even acknowledge my presence.

All of them were beautiful, decorating the water as they set a calm yet happy mood.

I looked away and started walking to The Deep Ends exhibit.