Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"Beautiful work on the vibrato, Ao," my orchestra instructor complimented. I smiled up at her and said, "Thank you, miss."

She returned the smile then turned to the rest of the class. "Now, class is almost over so start packing up. I wouldn't want to put you all on the tardy list." Everyone began getting up and packing up their instruments and music, as did I. Once I got everything packed I put my case in my locker that I shared with another student. I went back to my seat and grabbed my bag, just as the bell rang and everyone filed out of the room. Craig slung his backpack over his shoulder as he came up to me and said, "Lets get going." I nodded and the both of us left the room, waving good-bye to our instructor.

"So, when should we meet up for our next duet rehearsal?" Craig asked me as we walked through the halls. I thought about it and said, "How about today, after school?"

"Really? Today?"

"Yeah, why not? Plus we're going to that football game later on today so when we're done we can both go together," I explained. He nodded, "Sounds fair."

We walked back out into the courtyard to head to our classes in the next building. As we were walking, I heard a voice call us out and we both turned around. A boy stood a few feet from us, a few others with him. I could hear a deep growl within Craig's throat and I gulped, knowing that this wasn't going to be good. "Hello, Daniel," I greeted reluctantly. He smirked at us and waved. "Hey there, you two! I just wanted to come by and ask if you were going to the football game tonight."

"Yes, we are," I replied.

"Great," he said. Craig rolled his eyes and scoffed. Daniel glared at him and said, "You have something to say, Holland?"

Craig looked at him and muttered, "I do but I don't think you'd be too happy hearing it. It involves a lot of insults."

Daniel frowned harder and suddenly reached out and grabbed Craig by his shirt collar. "H-Hey!" I exclaimed and stepped towards them. "You're still mouthing off, huh? Your way of talking can really get you in a whole lot of trouble. I'm sure you wouldn't want that." Daniel hissed in Craig's face. Craig didn't answer, he only sneered. I shifted my gaze back and forth between them, until I had enough and pushed them away from each other. "Quit it!" I ordered. "Now's not the time to argue." I turned towards Daniel and said, "We're all going be late for our classes so I suggest we all get a move on."

Daniel sneered down at me and then at Craig. He scoffed and said, "All right fine. I'll be leaving." He leaned lower towards me and hissed, "You should be keeping a damn muzzle on him..."

"I'm okay with my current tactics, thank you very much," I replied and he just huffed and started walking away, his buddies following after. After he was gone Craig growled and said, "Jeez, that guy is a total prick! He's worse than Xavier."

"At least Xavier has stopped bullying you," I remarked, "Daniel seems to still have a grudge on us."

"Yeah, well, screw him and his stupid grudge," Craig muttered. He started walking off without me and I quickly scurried forward to keep up with him. Daniel Lennon is a football jock, and happens to be our favorite fan. Craig and I have known him since we were at least six. At the time, Craig wasn't my best friend and we rarely talked but he was around and had been one of Daniel's best buddies. It's hard to believe that, with how things are between us now. I had become acquaintances with Daniel and had hung out with him as a child. But things happened between us, and I realized that he wasn't the nice little boy everyone thought him out to be. I had never noticed it back then, but now I realize that throughout the days, he gradually became more tyrannical until kid after kid was bullied and pushed around by him. I came victim to his actions but it wasn't anything physical. He excessively used blackmail on me and that's a frustrating thing for a child of my age, then. As for Craig, blackmail would've been a Hell of a lot better than what he endured.