28- The Surprise

Back in the hotel lobby, I glance at Greg who gives me a thumbs up.

My palms got sweaty.

This is it. Once we get back to the room, I'm asking Nova to be my wife.

My heart was beating erratically and my cheeks become hot, I couldn't breath.

Oh god, I can't pass out now.

Nova and I step into the elevator and Nova grabs my hand before lacing our fingers together. She rests her cheek on my shoulder, as she leans on me.

I knew her feet were hurting because of the way she shifted her weight from one foot to the other.

She lets out a deep breath and closes her eyes.

"You tired babe?"

"No, I'm content"

I tilt my head slightly and kiss the top of her head.

"You look beautiful tonight" I whisper to her.

"Spence, you've said that already"

"I know."

She lifts her head and looks into my eyes.

"Well thank you"

I smile at her, before leaning down and placing a chaste kiss on her lips.

The elevator doors open and we step out and head towards our room.

My hands shake as I insert the key card.

I didn't know why I was so nervous. It's just Nova.

I slowly open the door and flick on the light.

Just as I planned, the room was covered in white rose petals, fairy lights, and candles.

Nova was behind me and hadn't seen the room yet, but I knew it would cause tears.

What kind though, I'm not sure.

I'm hoping tears of joy.

I let go of her hand and walk father into the room, with her following close behind me.

"I'll be right back babe" I say to her as I go into the bathroom.

I stand in front of the mirror and take a deep breath.

You can do this

This is what you want.

I wanted Nova, I wanted Hallie, I wanted it all.

I pull the small velvet box out of the drawer, and put it in my pocket.

After giving myself a short pep talk, I step out of the bathroom. The sight I see, makes my heart burst.

Nova was staring at the bed with her hands cupped over her mouth.

While we were out I had Greg set up the room, all the lights and candles, including 'marry me?' written with white rose petals on the bed.

"Novs" I gently call out to her.

She turns to face me, with tears pouring out of her eyes.

"Spencer What is this?" She asks with a shaky voice.

I take another deep breath before I respond, I wanted this to go perfectly.

"I know that we just started dating and this is all new to both of us, but it feels right. It feels good, and I really want it to last. You've been apart of my life since I was five years old, and you've improved my life so much every single day, with your beauty and your smile. I don't know when you fell in love with me, but I know I fell in love with you when I was sixteen. Six years ago I finally had a chance with you and I didn't take it, and god knows I regret not taking it. I was a dumbass for letting you slip through my fingers, and I swear I won't let that happen again, I won't let you go ever again. I love you baby, and i'm ready to take the next step, I'm ready for a future, a life with you and Hallie. So"

I pause and get down on one knee, while getting the ring out of my pocket.

"Nova Anne Ramirez, will you make me the happiest man alive and marry me?"

I open the box and Nova cries harder. The tears are pouring down her face, and her hands are shaking.

My insides twist as she sobs harder, I knew something was wrong.

I stand up and wrap my arms around her.

"I-I can't" she whimpers into my chest.

My heart breaks. She pulls away and wipes her eyes.

"W-Why not?"

"I've been hurt so many times Spencer, I can't get hurt again, what-What if you get bored of me, or sick of my mess and leave me? Hallie really loves you and I, we can't handle another heartbreak." She sobs.

"Nova baby, I'll never get bored of you. I want it all. Every piece of you. It's never been anyone else. It's always been you. Only You. And I swear that I'm going to prove it to you. I love you, and I love that little girl too."

"What happened was a mistake. You and I both know it. What happens when we come to our senses, and realize that we're falling? I can't get hurt again Spence I can't."

"Listen to me, I love you. I always have and I always will. And if we have doubts, we can get through them, I know we can. We'll fight though it all. And we'll fall together."

She furrows her eyebrows together, and tries her hardest to stop the tears, but they keep coming.

"I love you Nova"

I take a step closer to her and cup her face in my hands before pressing my lips to hers.

After a brief moment she lets herself get lost in the kiss, she grips the back of my neck and kisses me back fervently.

When we finally break apart, I rest my forehead on hers and stare into her eyes. My hands move down to her waist, as she traces her fingers over my face.

"I love you too Spencer" she says in a whisper before placing her lips on mine again.

This time the kiss was sweet and passionate. And it ended way to soon.

"Is that a yes?" I ask breathless

A huge smile appears on her face as she nods her head.

"Yes, yes I'll marry you Spencer"

I grab the ring out of the box and gently place it on her finger.

She looks down at it, and the smile on her face widens. Her eyes sparkle and glisten with tears. I could tell she was actually happy.

I snake my arms around her and kiss her temple. She wraps her arms around my neck and pulls me into a bone crushing hug.

She holds me close and tight as she cries on my shoulder.

"Thank you" she whispers in my ear through her sobs.

"For What Baby?"

"For believing in me, for sticking with us, for fighting for Hallie and I. For loving me."

I smile as I nuzzle my face into her neck.

"I always will Nova, always. I promise I'll always love you"