The World On His Shoulders

Three years and nine months after Praimfaya

Nia's stomach seemed huge as time had gone on. Bellamy had made it a point to not work her so much and the others simply agreed, leaving her frustrated that her constant movement was being monitored.

But despite Bellamy tending to her needs, he would disappear throughout the day only to be found looking out a window down at Eden. The notion concerned Nia but felt like it wasn't her place to question him. Instead she ran a hand along his back pulling him from his daydream below.

She hated not being able to do things for herself but she figure it was best to be pregnant in space than it would be on the ground. If they had stayed on the ground her limitations would be far more restricting. She wasn't sure her prior warrior spirit could've handled that.

That day she went strolling along the corridors having nothing to do. Monty's algae rested in the cup in her hand. She hadn't drunk from it because it disturbed her stomach but tolerated it for the protein it held. It wasn't till she stumbled across a familiar one that she realized what she had been doing. It was the corridor that Murphy had deemed his own after he had isolated himself from the others.

"Lost?" Murphy's voice rang out from a corner.

"Brought you some food." She noted holding the cup toward him.

Murphy didn't social well with others when they had brought him the food, making everyone dread the task. Everyone except Nia for whatever reason no one could think of they tolerated one another.

"Shouldn't you be the one taking all the protein?" He gestured to her large belly. A baby was a tremendous responsibility especially when it needed protein and their source was barely enjoyable.

"I'll drink it if you're willing to hold back my hair." She stated about the number of times she had rejected the food, only to take it again and hold it down. She could see every time the incident happened the sorrow look of Monty's face that he couldn't provide her with an alternative. Every time she reassured him that it was natural hoping to lift the weight on his shoulders.

"Did you really think having a baby right now was the best option?" He questioned their predicament.

Nia shrugged her shoulders carelessly before placing the cup down on a table. "Giving birth stuck in space doesn't sound too bad, especially when the alternative might be giving birth in the middle of a war."

As a healer she had helped others give birth. Her first time when she was just a child and helped assist her mother. Many times it was a warrior who had to go fight with the baby still small sometimes they were never reunited. It was what hesitated her before not being able to control the darkness inside her. But over time on the Ring she had made peace with herself and had never been so sure.

"At least you won't have to live by the rules set in place by the council. This baby might actually be fortunate." Murphy remarked how the Arc had altered lives and now this baby wouldn't have to worry about suffering the same fate he had. It would get two parents who would love and adore it and who knows one day a sibling as they didn't necessarily have a capacity limit.