Chapter 38

Eαrlíєr

Eαrlíєr

It may have been loneliness since it was not a working day, but Billion's mood was far from cheerful. Ever since he got off the phone with Emery, his nerves have been all over the place; in a not so good way.

And right now, as he unwind under the open evening sky, he awaited Emery's call in vague anxiety. Certainly, he was bound to be concerned because the last time she had said they needed to talk, it was to break up with him.

What did she want to tell me?

Turning onto his side, Billion picked up his cellphone from the end table and gave Samuel Cooper a call. The second the latter picked up, he barraged the guard with questions.  

"How did it go? Was she happy with the gift? You know I'll fire you if she did not-"

"Mr. Dekker," Samuel called gently from the other end. "I just left the Hamilton's, and Miss Hamilton was pleased with your gift."

Billion sighed inaudibly. "Thanks, Cooper. Call me when you get back to the club, there is something we need to discuss."

"Yes, sir."

Barely had Billion reclined back into the chaise lounge when a warm breath fanned the nape of his neck; one that contrasted between the cool breeze. He whirled around so fast that he almost knocked over the table in the process.

"Could you not do that?" he snapped.

Chanel rolled her eyes. Heedless of the glare being directed at her, she strolled over to the lounge adjoining Billion's and leisurely stretched her limbs.

Promptly, Billion looked away from those long legs that were bared to him. Picking up on his discomfort, Chanel turned to him with a grin.

"Oh chill those beautiful balls, Dekker. I'm only here to get some fresh air."

"I should leave you to it then." Billion edged off his lounge and slipped on his flops.

"Fine." drawing in a deep breath, Chanel said, "I need a favor."

"Then you are talking to the wrong person."

Billion made to walk out of the balcony but with swiftness, Chanel grabbed him by the shirt before he could even take another step.

"For Christ sake, Chanel what do you want?"

To hide her uneasiness she turned away from him. "Well, the thing is… Cullen is in town and he somehow knows about our little rendezvous. You know how much I care… forget that." Rubbing her pounding temples, she added, "If you could just talk to him and perhaps convince him that there is nothing going on between you and me…"

For the very first time, Billion saw the nervous side of Chanel Preston. But as much as the exposure was stirring, he was still unconvinced by her mimicry.