Chapter Eight

I was sweating.

The moment the question left his lips was my undoing. I knew my fear could be smelled. I knew the trembling of my body and the perspiration that was forming on my forehead could be seen by anyone standing close to me.

The rules.

I had to follow them.

I had to obey them.

Levi had the rules and surely she had given them to him; a reminder of how a good Omega should behave.

I had to respond to Alpha.

But how?

My hands anxiously wrung at my blanket that I had subconsciously grabbed, an attempt to soothe my fraying nerves.

"Kain, stop scaring him." Bens voice broke the silence that had befallen the room.

I didn't look up from Kain's boot-clad feet to witness his reaction. Instead, I continued to form together an appropriate response.

I could write, I had taught myself how, but that was a secret. I didn't know if the punishment would come if they found out. It wasn't a rule, but I was never given permission either.

"Omega!" Kain's angry snarl snapped me from my thoughts and within moments I was on my knees in front of him. A sharp growl sounded and I felt my hair being yanked, forcing my head back and tilted painfully upwards to stare into Kains vicious and penetrating eyes.

"My patience wears thin with you."  My stomach turned at his words. I was being bad again.

"He doesn't know how to talk, how the hell do you expect him to answer you without the ability to do so?" Levis' voice was close but I didn't dare look away from the angry Alpha. The hand holding my hair ensured that.

"Fine, shall we bring that disgrace of a Beta back here and have him tell us? Because every single pack member we have questioned refuses to even talk about him." Kain looked away from me as he spoke, gesturing to me with his hands.

A whine escaped my lips at the mention of him. The frantic feeling intensified. I knew the Beta would come back for me, but I wasn't prepared to face him again.

"Use questions that a nod or shake of the head would answer." Levi stood next to us, her voice soothing the angry beast. "You manhandling, and threatening the poor thing will get us nowhere. What would your daddy say if he saw what you were doing?" I don't think I would ever get used to seeing a pack member talk back to their Alpha like this one seem to do. Even though Kain asserted his dominance, the fact that they even felt comfortable enough to do so made me uncomfortable and nervous.

Kain glared at Levi, but he seemed to be taking in her words.

"This behavior isn't like you, Kain." Levi's voice got soft. I obviously stirred something in Kain that was making him act out.

Slowly the fingers that were entangled in my hair loosened until finally, they let go. The atmosphere seemed to have gotten lighter as well.

"Are there any pack members left on the grounds or did we send them all up north?" Kain's voice was steady and it held less viciousness than it did before.

"I think we have one or two warriors downstairs." I heard Bens voice and it immediately made me feel less on edge. His words were comforting. Knowing that I still had pack mates alive and even more elsewhere was relieving.

"Have they been questioned?"

"I don't believe they have. We mainly spoke to the wolves in the other pack houses. In this one, we only got to speak to about half." Trent replied. "They stayed behind to help with the merge."