Restraint

Song for the chapter: Melanie Martine- Mad Hatter

"The doctors don't know what it is. The victims state has only been declining since the attack."

Jason dragged me around a hospital in some foreign country in the middle of the night, not caring about hiding or being sneaky. He led me to a quiet hallway, no visitors in sight. We stopped at the first door of the hallway. 

"Its more than just one victim, Serenity. Don't be too long." He peeked into the room. 

"Are they going to remember me?" I asked looking into the patients room.

"Yes," He whispered. "It'll help create hope. People will begin to have faith, knowing something really is out there protecting them."

"Oh..." So no pressure right....

Sliding the door open quietly, I tip toed to the fragile women.

Poor woman, lying in bed, with lost hope and fear. Not knowing what this plague is causing her to unexpectedly face death far too soon.

Jason stood by the door watching the hallway while I stepped to the balding woman with tubes in her nose. Frowning, I put my hands on either side of her face.

Her feelings were frantic, almost sucking me in but I quickly shook my head knowing I shouldn't get lost with her. Seeing the darkness eating at her body, I pushed it out letting life return to her body and mind. A small smile appearing on her face making me smile. 

"She'll be okay." I mumbled. "You're okay."

For the next few, I could see the darkness leaching at their bodies bringing them down to death. It was a lot easier curing them, easier not easy. I didn't get sucked into their emotions at all.  I was more focused that I've ever been in my life. 

But it was the last patient where things took a turn.

"He has cancer." I mumbled, looking down at the teenage boy. He looks to be younger than me. By the look of his body, he seems to have been here for longer than the rest of the patients....

"Do not take it away. Take the evil away and that is it." Jason demanded, coming to my side, watching me closely to see what I was doing.

"But..." I whispered.  

"Serenity, you are not God, you can not do whatever you want. He was meant to have cancer, do not change fate." His tone wasn't nearly as comforting as before. Sounding more like my boss than my teacher. 

Not wanting to reply, I stayed quiet, looking down at him and contemplating my decision. 

"Serenity." Jason said a little louder.

I was always one to follow rules, no matter how small because I never wanted to get in trouble, never wanted to cause trouble. But why is saving people such a bad thing? Jason explained it before but I don't want to take his warnings into consideration not when I have the option right in the palm of my hands.