42. Past

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

I could only stare at Mrs. Bundt. My head wasn't working at all. All this new information... Everything that had just happened with Jack and his... his shadows... And now there was a spirit in the room with us. With me and three werewolves. And a... a Spirit Walker. And apparently, I wasn't human either! My head felt like it was about to explode. I had a bad headache and it seemed to be getting worse by the second.

And then there was Cedric... The imaginary friend I always had by my side, until... Until that one night...

I stood up from the couch, feeling like I was suffocating. Now I couldn't stay calm anymore. This was way too much, and on top of everything, I couldn't feel Jaden anymore... I felt more alone than ever. His Echo had left a cold, black void inside me when Mrs. Bundt took it. I wanted it back, even though I knew I couldn't protect it.

"Ollie?" Mrs. Bundt spoke my name quietly. "There's nothing to worry about. My friends and I will solve this thing and force the Shadow Walker out of our lands."

"Can I then have my Echo back?" I asked quietly, feeling a tiny bit of hope inside of me. I wasn't ready to focus on anything else right now.

"That is up to Jaden," she said tenderly, looking at him. "It's his spirit, after all."

"That shouldn't take long," Tilly spoke suddenly with a wink. Jaden turned to glare at her, so she looked away, pressing her lips together.

"Even I can't stop Echoes, except for my own, because they're not technically spirits," Mrs. Bundt said. "I can ask the actual spirit to call them all back, but that doesn't mean they won't return to where they belong as soon as they can."

"Then why did you make them come back to him if they just return?" I asked.

"Because right now we need all the time we can get," Mrs. Bundt said. "And we need to know exactly where the Echoes are so we can protect them. Now we can track them while they return."

I nodded slowly, trying to understand her words. "So, it will take some time before I can have mine back?"

"It's probably already sneaking back to you," Mrs. Bundt smiled. "They usually do when they are close to the place they belong to."

I peered at Jaden. He wasn't looking at me, and he had no emotions on his face. I wanted to ask him if he even wanted his Echo to come back to me, but I didn't have the guts to do so. I turned around and walked to the front door and back, feeling restless and anxious. There was still so much I didn't understand...

"What about Cedric?" I finally asked, feeling horrible for him. "What does it mean that he's locked inside me?"

Mrs. Bundt took a deep breath, and sat down on the chair. "I don't know where to begin..."