Chapter 56

Planet: Kestra, Odaport Compound

First Insurgency War

MAIA

Shit.

Black Wolf changed for the worse since his reunion with Rayan Falae. Out on the field, his ferociousness remained unmatched in sparring matches and brought back a twinge of fear she thought herself over. He took down Elites far more experienced than himself, forcing her to step in before it worsened.

How can I ignore what he's starting to become? What are the Forces turning him into? Maia left her podbunk with a frown while the pain from Rayan Falae's words broke Black Wolf in shattered halves. What is he turning himself into?

"Black Wolf? James?" she asked at the sight of him curled in the conversation pit. Maia came closer, but froze at the wet trails down his cheeks when he looked at her. His scowl deepened when he wiped his sleeve against his skin with a scoff, sitting up and putting distance between them.

"Look, I know what happened at that location—"

"I don't want to talk about it," he mumbled with a hand on his chest, digging his fingers into his uniform. He straightened himself off the couch when their schedule beeped from the panel. "Let's just get down to the training field before we get smoked for tardiness."

"Wow, you're actually thinking ahead for once," Maia teased, but stopped when gave her a lethal side-eye. "I know you don't want to talk about it, but—" Maia scoffed when he left their bunk and rushed to catch up with him. "I think you need to. Just—" A scoff escaped her lips when he pushed forward and dropped his hand to his side. One phase, and she stood in front of him, and he came to a stop. "Holding it in isn't good for you."

James twisted around her. "I'm fine."

Commander Beckett waited for them by the obstacle course, though James lagged behind when she reached the starting line.

"Are you two ready?" Commander Beckett asked. "By the way, Aelius Matthey should be here soon."

Maia gave him a thumbs up, but turned to James who stopped out of reach of their starting timer. He swayed with the wind coursing through the base as he took another small step forward. Maia focused on the fading noise in the air, dying with the breeze.

He raised a hand to his head when he came closer to them, with Beckett lowering his watch. Maia lurched when Black Wolf knelt with the pain creasing his brow. Crimson turned to hazel. Hazel into emptiness.

He collapsed at her feet.

"Fuck!" Maia rushed for her partner to put a hand on his back, where the heartbeat faded, overpowered by the coursing edevium.

"Heartrate, now, Urtanes!" Beckett snapped as he hauled James into his arms.

"Low and disappearing," Maia replied and fought her own stress when it pushed through her ears while edevium spiked into her veins with a fiery tempest for action.

Beckett used his free hand to tap the compearl. "Illiya, we've got an issue on the training field," he said, then lifted James off the ground with ease and into a carry over his shoulder. Maia hyperfocused on James while his heart fought against the edevium once more.

A Medic Elite from one of the posts rushed over to them. "What happened?"

"Edevic charge," Beckett said. "I need a hover gurney."

As if in response to his command, General Falae burst out of the front doors of the base with two more Medic Elites. Beckett placed James into its embrace while the Elite rushed over to the panel to tap in settings. "We're losing him, General."